Chapter 2: Collin's P.O.V

"When Eva was 13, she was into a tomboy phase and was very keen on getting us to call her 'Evan'," Ms. Sky's father informs me. It's very bizarre how I'm sitting in my teachers living room listening to her father tell me about her personal life- well, about when she was younger. The house is big, with a lot of unopened boxes scattered around, and white walls that looked new, just as if they had been painted. It looks like my house did the first time I moved around here, six years ago.

    "I have a little sister who's going through this 'emo' phase," I laugh, scratching the back of my neck.

    "I guess all girls envy men every once in a while."

    "Hey, that was when I was young and insolent!" Ms. Sky calls from the kitchen as her mother enters the living room.

    "Not that young if you ask me," her mother scoffs. The three of them sound so much like a real family should, it makes me wonder about my own parents.

    "So, Collin, tell us about yourself," Mrs. Sky asks, sitting down beside Mr. Sky.

    "Nothing much to talk about," I shrug, feeling a little hesitant with the two pair of eyes drilling me.

    "He plays basketball," Ms. Sky calls from the kitchen.

    "Really? What position?" Mr. Sky asks, sitting up straighter. Did he maybe have a thing for basketball.

    "Well... I'm not trying to brag, but, I'm the captain," I shrug, feeling hot all over. Mr. Sky nods in a proud way.

    "He was the captain back in his day," Mrs. Sky whispers, ignoring Mr. Sky. The two of them seem to get lost in a world of old times and I can't help but notice the soft aroma of parsley and thyme strolling in from the kitchen. My stomach growls instantly, and I pray to god that nobody notices. Instead, I stroll my eyes through the room one more time, and I notice a stack of papers on the table in the middle of the room.

    "That's her latest manuscript," Mr. Sky whispers, winking at me with his dark eyes. He's a very lean man even though he's probably in his late 40's.

    "Edward!" Mrs. Sky hisses, slapping his arms. "Eva hates it when you read her manuscripts!"

    "I was just checking for mistakes!" he says in his defence.

    "I can hear you guys!" Ms. Sky calls from the kitchen. What a weird group of people, I think in my head, and try to search for a different topic.

    "I've read some of her books," I intervene. "And the back of the books mentions she's only 24. That's pretty young for an Author, let alone a teacher," I compliment.

    "That's our daughter, she did something with her life at such a young age," her father jokes.

    "What about your parents?" Mr. Sky asks, leaning back against the sofa.

    "They work... both of them. My sister, who's nine usually stays over at a friend's most of the time," I say, shrugging it off like it's the most normal thing in the world. Both Mr, and Mrs Sky don't say anything, but give each other a quick glance. I did it now.

    "Well forget that," Mrs. Sky waves. "What you need to know is that Eva holds a lot of pop quizzes, so if I were you, I'd be ready any second."

    "Thanks for the heads up, I think It'll really come in handy some time," I laugh, shaking off every ounce of stress inside me. At least try to look thankful, for these people sake, I think to myself, looking up as Ms. Sky pokes her head through the entrance of the living room.