Chapter 7: Eva's P.O.V.

"Go fish!" Em throws up her arms, and starts to do a little dance on the spot.

"You cheated!" I grumble, throwing down my stack of cards. This was a typical Saturday morning when Em was over at my place... Coffee, cards, and a cozy atmosphere.

"No, you're just a sore looser," she sticks out her tongue at me.

"Stop," I tease, "It's so immature!" I make a face, stretching my arms over my head and stifling a yawn.

"Says the girl who left me alone senior year!"

"Oh come on! I didn't leave you, I just followed my calling," I protested, getting up to stretch my legs.

"Whatever," she plays around with the cotton on her sweater. I watch as she tugs out a piece of strand and wraps it around her pinkie.

"You know, I was really stoked to finally get the chance to hear about your love life," she grumbles, "but apparently with your dumb luck, nothing."

"Who said I was even trying? I don't really care for this kind of thing..." I bend down to touch the tips of my toes. It's a gray morning outside. The sun was hiding behind think grey clouds that didn't look like they were about to let out. Fog flooded into the city last night, and was still here. On our way back from the airport, Em and I almost ran into a careless driver who was swivelling on our lane. Talk about rotten luck.

"Whatever, I want to go outside, do something fun," she gets up and stretches her arms and legs.

"Sure, just go shower first," I laugh, flopping back on my bed, "and be quick, I'm after you." She takes her clothes from inside her suitcase and throws a towel over her shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah," she laughs, throwing a smile over her shoulder. She shuts the door behind her, and I heave a heavy sigh, letting go of all the thoughts that were tormenting me.... OK, not tormenting, but still freaking me out.... Last night I had a dream, and it was nothing big, but I couldn't help but see a single face... utter a single name. I close my eyes and try to picture the face against the darkness of my closed lids. I don't try to fight the inevitable smile that creeps up on my lips. Eva, you, are the most disgusting thing that ever lived... stop smiling, I scowl at myself and open my eyes.

**********************************************************************************************************************

"Pick up your phone, will you?" Em says from the passenger seat. We're driving down a narrow road to no where in particular. All the windows are rolled up and fogged. Cars zoom by like some film on fast forward and the cobblestone streets are filled with people just hanging about. I take off one hand from the steering wheel and reach for the dashboard, pull it open, and take out my phone. The caller ID flashes with an unknown, making me frown.

"No clue who it is," I shrug, placing it in the cup holder.

"It won't kill you to open it and check, you know," Em rolls her eyes, takes my phone and flips it open.

"Hello, how may I help you?" She asks, her voice going from happy to chirpy.

"Oh, OK, and you are?" She plays with a loose strand of her hair, a smile tugging on the corner of her lips.

"A colleague, you say?" Now she's full out smiling. I look sideways at her ass I hear the word 'colleague and snatch the phone from her grasp.

"Hello?" I say, pressing the phone between my ear and shoulder.

"Hi, Eva, it's me, Ron." It's Ron.

"Oh, hey, nice hearing from you on the weekend." He chuckles at that.