Chapter 5: Eva's P.O.V.

There, you did it again, I think to myself as I stand in front of the secretary in the office. Although in my defence, it wasn't my fault.

"I left it in your mailbox," the secretary woman sighs in frustration, pushing her wheel chair back and walking towards the small store room in the back. From the very start, this woman didn't like me, so what was the big deal now? God, Eva, what have you done?! I scream in my head. You see, I was supposed to hand all of my students these sheets that would count as thirty percent of their English mark. It was mandatory for all students, and there were about fifty pages they needed to complete by the end of the first semester.... that's why they needed the sheets now. The secretary tells me that the sheets were in my mailbox yesterday, but last I checked, my mailbox was empty.

"Here," the secretary comes back from the room with one pack of fifty sheets. "You'll need to photocopy this pack as many times as you have to, just make sure all the students get their packs." I nod, and take the sheets from her hands. The way she was talking to me almost sounded as if she thought I was clueless or something.

"Well, see you later," I wave just as I'm leaving the office, but she's not listening to me... or at least pretends not to listen. I had another problem to deal with, though. I had three English classes, each consisting of thirty students- which made ninety in total. Each student needed their own pack, meaning I would have to make four-thousand, five-hundred copies.... The photocopiers were pretty slow, so that would take... a long time. This wasn't happening, I tell myself, trying not to pause in the middle of the hallway, but it seems like I was meant to mourn on these hallway floors... What had I done to deserve this? The packets weren't even in my mailbox! How is this possible? I wouldn't be able to finish them today because I didn't have any prep time today... that left tomorrow, which is a Friday, and I was supposed to pick up Emma from the airport, who insisted on visiting. So I would have to start after she came. The reason she wanted to visit was so that we could spend some time together, but with all these sheets to photocopy... One step at a time, I tell myself, getting ready to leave the school. Then again, I could always stay late to finish at least half the sheets, but I was already exhausted. Big deal, I tell myself. School is more important, if you can't handle it, then just quit. I make my way back to my class and throw my bag on my armchair along with my sweater, and head out towards the photocopiers. This would be such a waste of paper, I scold myself just as I near the photocopy room. I mean, really? How sane would I be if photocopied these papers four-thousand, five-hundred times? Think Eva, think!

"Eva?" Someone calls from behind me. It's Ron.

"Hey," I wave at him as he gets closer. His expression is a little bit pinched, as if he had been arguing with someone.

"What're those?" He asks, nodding at the stack of papers in my hands.

"Oh, these," I sigh. "Just some assignment for my English classes." I shuffle on my feet, not really in the mood for a conversation. "So... don't you have basketball practise right now?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"No, not today. I cancelled because most of the players weren't here... but anyway, listen... You know this whole-"

"Ron!" We both turn around to the sound of another teacher. Her dark, long hair is tied behind in a tight bun with a pencil sticking out from behind her ear. Her lips are a pale shade of pink, and her cheeks flushed as if she had been running. She walks in long strides, and her back is positioned so that it looks straight. I don't know her, but the way she looks at me, I can tell she doesn't like me. What else was new?

"Ms. Asher," Ron nods at her, looking even more disturbed.

"I needed some help with the art supplies," she motions behind her at the cart she was holding. "And I was wondering if you would care to help?" She offers a tight smile. She doesn't seem to acknowledge me at all.