Chapter 7: That Fateful Family

“How cruel of Levi-senpai for not telling me that it was his birthday today!” Eren complained to Mother Reiss. “We’re sorry we didn’t tell you Eren, but Levi is a very complex character.” Mother Reiss explained. “Levi has asked us several times to ignore his birthday. It’s very hard for him to accept his own existence. So please forgive him Eren.” She continued. Eren felt guilty for allowing his anger and jealously to engulf him.

“Aside from that here’s your lingerie Mother Reiss.” Mikasa held out several shopping bags. “Sorry for making you go through the trouble for this!” Mother Reiss blushed, “I heard you three ran into Erwin at the mall. We should be careful next time ok?” She smiled. The three went on to prepare the Christmas Dinner while Eren’s thoughts were preoccupied with Levi. “Mother Reiss, where is Levi-senpai? He should be here with us as a family preparing food.” Eren insisted. “My, how sweet you are Eren! Levi is upstairs in Father Reiss’ study.” Mother Reiss answered. “Alright I’ll go and fetch him!” Eren said.

“Levi, do you think it’s been long enough?” Father Reiss inquired. “What do you mean father?” Levi asked. “Eren and Mikasa have been residing in our home for over three months. Their father should be able to provide them with a home by now. If not I can afford for them to have a home in wall Rose since wall Maria is now officially off limits.” Father Reiss expressed. “Do you want them out?” Levi asked. “Of course not I absolutely adore those kids. But please think realistically, what if Erwin had discovered those kids here? You can’t rely on that young man’s kindness. I want you to consider their safety Levi.” Father Reiss kindly stated.

 “Are you asking me for my opinion or permission to kick those kids out?” Levi continued. Father Reiss sighed and removed his glasses with an irritating expression and asked, “Your rank is still 2nd isn’t it?” “So this is about my grades now…” Levi grunted. “I don’t want you to have any distractions Levi.” Levi stood up, “It’s always about you father” he said as he left. “Levi! Please-“Father Reiss begged.

Levi opened the door and saw Eren. “Were you eavesdropping?” He asked. “No… I came here to see if you wanted to help with the Christmas dinner downstairs…” Eren struggled. “Levi will go to his room and study for his finals!” Father Reiss strictly ordered. “I think I’ll spend time with my family.” Levi responded. “Are you sure?” Eren flustered. “Let’s go.” Levi commanded. Eren was beyond euphoric but he could not help but feel guilty. He could see Father Reiss’ stressful expression. Father Reiss is usually a very jolly man, which made Eren feel responsible for Levi’s rebellious actions.

After their Christmas dinner the family went to open presents. “Mother Reiss we got you a really great present please open it!” Eren pleaded. “No please go first Eren!” She insisted. “Please open your present Eren, all of us picked it out.” Mikasa stated. Eren grabbed his small present out from under the tree. He noticed it was perfectly wrapped and embellished with a gold ribbon. “It’s beautiful.” Eren said. “Levi wrapped it.” Mother Reiss cheerfully said. Eren was shocked that Levi had such skills and then the thought came to him, “Did he buy a ring? It must be!” Levi was calm and lazily ignored Eren as he praised Levi’s wrapping skills. Eren carefully unwrapped and gently opened the box encasing the present. “It’s a necklace of the Survey Corp’s symbol” Eren admired. “Mikasa actually picked it out, and I was surprised you two were so passionate about the Survey Corps!” Mother Reiss complimented. “Thank you Mikasa, and all of you! Even though we are not related by blood, I really feel like we're a real family” Eren bowed. “Anything for you Eren!” Mikasa blushed. 

Levi went upstairs afterwards. “Levi do you not want to stay and open your presents?” Eren asked. “I already got enough presents from the girls at our school.” Levi casually stated. “My son is such a stud!” Mother Reiss fainted. “Mother Reiss!” Mikasa calmly yelled and rushed to her side along with Father Reiss. Eren left them and hurried to Levi up the stairs. “Levi you should really go down stairs and celebrate.” Eren suggested.

“We are different people Eren.” Levi stated. Eren captured Levi with his arms against their bedroom door. “What are you planning on doing Eren?!” Levi exclaimed. Eren leaned down to Levi’s level, “About before…do you want me to leave?”