Chapter 4: That Fateful Promise II

Chapter 4 II

       As Mikasa and Eren were walking to school, Eren decided to take a detour. “Mikasa, I don’t want anyone at school to discover that we are living with the Reiss’.” Eren said. “I understand” Mikasa quickly established. “Really? You’re ok with this?” Eren said, shocked at her abrupt decision. “The hierarchy at our school can’t be disrupted. The Reiss’ were also worried about our reputation and informed me that it would be better to keep it a secret. The monarchy in our society is really messed up but at least we have a home Eren.” Mikasa expressed. “What could go wrong?” Eren asked confused. “Is that not why you wanted to keep a low profile? If other students discovered our new home we will be ostracized for ‘not living where we belong’.” Mikasa articulated.

       “Not living where one belongs” was a huge statement which haunted the lower class citizens. Those words were burned into Eren’s mind and he then recalled what Levi had said to him earlier. Levi was not vulgar, he was only protecting Eren. “So if we spoke to Levi at school…” Eren slowly said. “Yes. It will be the worst decision you will ever make.” Mikasa predicted, “Eren, I will always protect you no matter what…” She shyly whispered. “We should get going to school, Armin is probably alone.” Eren said. “Ok” Mikasa agreed.

       Once Eren arrived in his classroom his whole class gave him glares. “Hey Eren and Mikasa! Are you two alright?!” Armin said. “Yeah…what does everyone know about us?” Eren asked. “Well your home was destroyed and your mother died. I’m so sorry! I could’ve been there for you Eren!” Armin said in guilt. “Armin it isn’t your fault!” Eren said exasperated. The entire class gave Eren a sympathetic look, but there was one student who gave Eren a resentful look. He had short tan hair shaved on the sides and yellow eyes. He was the kid that was always around Marco Bott. “What was his problem?” Eren thought.

       After classes Eren went to watch the upperclassmen train with Armin and Mikasa. “Wow look at them! It’s like they’re flying!” Eren said in amazement. “We’re going to explore the outside world someday, right? Far beyond these walls, there’s flaming water, land made of ice, and fields of sand spread wide. It’s the world my parents wanted to go to” Armin said viewing the spectacular showcase of the trainees. “One day” Eren determined.

There was one person in particular who stood out. He was much faster than everyone and short too. “Hey there’s Levi-senpai!” Eren said. Mikasa grabbed Eren’s shoulder and shook her head. After noticing the time Eren decided to head back home with Mikasa. Levi halted and watched the two leave. “Hey Levi why are you just standing there?” Erwin inquired. He noticed Levi was intensely staring straight at Eren. “Oh that freshman!” Erwin smiled. “Do you fancy him now?” Erwin questioned. “Stop making odd suggestions Erwin.” Levi commanded. “You should know Levi, that you don’t even deserve him. Levi your bitterness is truly impeccable.” Erwin threatened. “It’s a good thing you don’t fancy him because it seems other people are interested in him as well.” Erwin continued. Levi’s face was pale. “I’m done for today.” Levi said. Levi left and Erwin laughed. “I’ve never seen anyone make you so agitated Mr. Perfection” Erwin teased.