Chapter 14

Chapter 14 –

Last chapter…

I went into my bedroom admiring the new bed sheets that I had put on earlier today.

“Valerie?” To the sound of my name I quickly turned around to face the girl standing in my doorway. My heartbeat accelerated as confusion and fear filled me.

“Lisa?” I said, recognising the girl.

“What are you doing here?”

3 days later.

“Adrian, our English essay is due this Friday. Have you done it yet?” I asked as we made our way to a table at the back of the cafeteria.

“Is that the one where we write about the… wait, we had an essay?”

“Yes! We got it the day I started school here, which was like ages ago.” I said thinking back to the day we passed notes to each other in English, it seemed like forever ago, when in reality it was like last week.

“We’ll then...” He said thinking for a second “Nope.” He finished; I chuckled as we sat down across from each other.

Things were good between us, actually; they were great. It’s like when you don’t expect something to happen, but you kind of hope it will anyway. I find my thoughts drifting back to the Sunday after I figured out who he was, who he really was. Adrian, my Adrian. He came through my window, just like he promised. I smiled to myself staring out into the school oval outside before the sound of other trays hitting against our table distracted me. I looked up to find Adrian’s other 3 friends whom I haven’t met yet. Adrian finished chewing on his chip and turned to greet them.

“Oh hey guys,” He said, “Guys, this is Val,” He paused.

“The one you’re always on about?” The blonde guys said smiling cheekily. Adrian cleared his throat loudly before continuing.

“Val, this is Jack,” He said referring to the blonde one, “Ben and Graham.” I smiled politely at all of them.

“Hey, nice to meet you all.” I said before they all sat down.

“You too Val,” Said the quiet looking one who I guessed was Graham.

“Guys, do you know what’s happening around here?” Said the guy with the really blue eyes, which as I remembered was Ben.

“What do you mean?” Said Adrian popping another chip in his mouth,  

“There’s been police at the front office for two days now and no one has gotten expelled so I don’t understand what’s happening.” Ben said clearly confused.

“Seriously? I didn’t even notice.” Adrian said chewing in thought. I swallowed, a tight feeling in my stomach.

“We kind of figured, fresh lovebirds and all…” Jack said, his cheeky smile drawn on his face again. I laughed softly turning to Adrian whose faces shun the lightest shade of pink.

“I heard they’re checking the cameras, but then what’s the point of that?”

I looked up, zoning out of the conversation as I noticed Lisa and the other 3 of the group walking to their table in the centre, she stared at me for a split second before saying something to her boyfriend, Chris. The twisting feeling in my stomach appeared again and I thought of the night she showed up at my house, supposedly as “a friend”.

*

“Val, I’m so sorry…” She said walking closer towards me.

“No. Don’t Lisa. I don’t need your apologies, not now, not ever.” I said knowing well that if I accepted them, it meant I’d set them free. I didn’t feel ready to do that, to let go of this problem, it sounded stupid but I found comfort in the fact that I knew she betrayed me and felt bad for it. No friend had the right to betray anyone like that. Ever.