Candice (A Sister) X

* Pic is of Thalia

                                                           ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

The path upward was steep, but she wasn’t winded when she reached the top. She surveyed the horizon, three hundred feet above the sea, and turned her head toward the pillars of the sanctuary, a warm feeling curling in her chest, so powerful it brought tears to her eyes.

A soft voice called from where the weathered stone walls of the sanctuary met the dark cypress doors. “Oh Sister, how long it has been!” A figure dressed in white cavorted across the cobbled ground, weaving between the luscious olives in their groves, and appearing before her in a vision of pearly white skin, hazel eyes, and shimmering brown hair.

“Thalia, dear Sister,” she choked, reaching for a hug. The warmth of her sister’s body pressed against her, and she squealed in joy, a single tear tracing down her cheek and landing on her sister’s silken gown. It formed into a perfectly round, lustrous pearl, and she cupped it in her palm. “Thalia, for all the years it has been, keep this to know I always hold you in my heart,” she laughed, slipping the treasure into her sister’s hand.

“Oh! I—“

A sound invaded her eardrums and Candice sat up, wide awake.

                                                           ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

“Dinner time, Candice, time for dinner, sweetie,” Mum called from the doorway, peeking her head round the corner. “Oh! I’m sorry! Did I wake you?”

“Yeah,” she mumbled, her voice thick with sleep. “I’ll be there in a moment.”

Damn it, Mum. I really want that dream back.

She got up, reluctantly, and shrugged into her fluffy dressing gown. 

At least Mum doesn’t mind if I come to the table like this, she smiled. Her hair stuck up in all directions, and she jumped when she looked in the mirror.

Holy moley. That is not a good look…

After quickly smoothing some serum through her thick locks to tame them a little, she slipped on her slippers, and headed to the dining room.

                                                          ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

At dinner she leaned on her elbows, sleepily, while Mum dished up green beans, salad, baby potatoes, and gourmet meatballs.

“We’re picking up Dad from the airport tomorrow,” Mum reminded them, excitedly. Her eyes were tired from the day, but she had a lightness about her that made Candice smile.

It’s so good to have Dad coming home.

Rosa fell asleep in her chair, and Candice took the opportunity to desert her plate and walk her sleepy little sister to bed. She undressed her and helped her into her favorite purple pajamas, kissing her soft cheek as she nestled into her pillow.

“Night night, Rosa,” she whispered softly.

“Night, Candy,” the little girl mumbled sweetly, her lips crumpled against the pillow.

“I love you,” she whispered as she turned out the light and partially closed the door. 

“I might go to bed, Mum,” she murmured, covering a yawn with her hand as she collected their plates from the table. “Dinner was delicious.”