Candice (Water Nymph) IX

* Pic is of Rhetia.

                                                           ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

She watched the back of Lykos’ black head mingle with the crowd and disappear, and couldn’t suppress her shivers any longer. Her teeth clacked together, and she hurried inside the restaurant, her brain a confused mess of emotions and disbelief.

Did I really just tell him all of that? Why him? Why the hot guy? The guy I happen to act all crazy and deranged around? 

She groaned in despair, glancing round the busy area, and barely missing nearby chairs with her shopping bags as she made her way to the back of the restaurant. 

There’s no chance of him ever being more than my friend, now. Why do I have to go and screw things up!?

Mum and Rosa were perched on seats in the far corner, and she could tell they were about to order. She waved, and Mum looked up with a big smile.

“Candice! Wow! What a lot of shopping bags, look Rosa!”

Rosa turned, her green and white outfit making her look so elf-like, Candice wanted to hug her til she couldn’t breathe.

“Wow! Candice, I won’t look, I promise.”

She turned away, hiding her eyes as Candice took a seat, plopping the bags under the table and out of sight. She shared a glance with Mum, silently communicating awww she’s so sweet! and getting the same message back. 

“All safely hidden away, Rosa,” she teased.

“Good! I’m so hungry! What can I have, Mummy?”

Mum scanned the menu, selecting a child’s lunch for Rosa and a chicken panini for herself. The waitress appeared to take our order, and Candice panicked. 

How can I get out of this?

“What will you have, Candice?” Mum asked, leaning across the table and perching elegantly on her elbows. 

“Um, chicken feta salad?”

The waitress smiled at me.

“Great choice, that’s very popular.”

Phew. That’s over. Lykos better be proud of me now. 

Her heart skipped a beat as she thought about him.

Not now, not now, I need some space to deal with all this...

Mum started a conversation about what kind of wrapping paper they should get, and she zoned out, staring at the tasteful decor on the wall across from her.

So tired.

                                                           ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

That afternoon they all got home, and Candice spent the better part of an hour wrapping gifts in her bedroom. She’d choked down about half the chicken salad, and she was desperately trying to distract herself from the urge to lock herself in the bathroom for a few minutes. She tied a big organza bow on the top of mum’s parcel, and then scooped up as many as she could fit in her arms to carry down to the Christmas tree. The scent of pine needles in the lounge was relaxing, and she had a mug of hot chocolate with Rosa before locking herself in her bedroom for some privacy. Her mind hurt from over-activity.

My god. What on earth happened this afternoon?

She flopped onto her bed, staring at the ceiling.