Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I wasn't sure when or how I fell asleep.

I just remembered it was the first time I hadn't fallen asleep into nightmares and dark memories. It was a blissful blank sleep that left me feeling rested and well. Even better was waking up to the warm sweet smell of cinnamon rolls and coffee. I hummed contentedly at the warm scents coupled with sunlight pouring across my back like a relaxing hot pad.

I was reluctant to leave the bed, but the cramping in my stomach finally urged me out of bed. I shuffled to the bathroom to shower and change into a pair of black jeans, draping the plush burgandy towel over my shoulders as I made my way to the kitchen as I dried off the ends of my hair.

I paused in the doorway to the kitchen to see Dorean stooping over to open the oven, taking out a tray of sticky cinnamon buns, puffy and swirled like something out of a Home Design magazine. He looked adorable and sweet in white sweatpants with glitter Greek letters down the side for the brand name, and a white shirt that clipped at the collar with short sleeves. It was odd how something so feminine managed to look masculine on him. It took talent to do that.

Not that I'd tell him that.

"Morning," Dorean greeted me brightly, startling me from my thoughts as he took out some homemade icing and layered it into the rolls, "I got bored and wanted to make something. Hope it's okay."

"Make anything you want." I answered, drifting over to watch him decorate the rolls before he capped the icing and tucked it into the fridge. I held my hand out over the rolls, feeling the warmth ooze off them before picking one up and taking a bite. The heat was hardly a bother to me. I just savored the way it practically melted in my mouth.

"Don't that hurt? It's hot." Dorean added, tilting his head to watch me curiously. I shrugged, taking another bite as I took a seat at one of the bar stools.

"Heat's never particularly bothered me." I said briefly. Dorean nodded and hopped up to sit on the island counter as he picked up a roll and blew on it to cool it, his legs kicking back and forth while his tail coiled out across the island counter and fell down the other side, his wings tucking themselves closed so as not to knock over the pots and pans on the rack overhead.

"You said Atlantis was hot."

"Yes, most of the time. Our winters were a bit chilly."

"Was it very sunny?"

"Extremely. Rarely a cloudy day."

"Uwahh," Dorean made a sound of delight, "It sounds so nice there! Inferi never have sunlight. Maybe once or twice a year, but not every day. Is why I like here. It's so sunny and pretty! I want to see ocean up close. I never seen ocean. Is that okay?" I nodded, licking icing off my fingers as I rose to my feet, watching Dorean's eyes glow excitedly.

"Finish your breakfast and we can head out." I said. Dorean made another sound of excitement and gobbled up his cinnamon roll, hurrying to clean up his mess as I went to my room and tossed the towel aside before grabbing a black tank top, tugging it on before I went to Dorean's room to see him looking into his cloest with curiosity. I had teleport his clothing items here as well as a few additions myself.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, pausing in the doorway. Dorean smiled a little uneasily, his tail doing that nervous swirling and flicking thing.

"Not sure what to wear. What do you wear to the ocean?" He asked. I didn't want to come into his room without permission, but he didn't seem to mind when I did. I made my way over to his closet, stepping inside to take a couple of things off the rack before handing them to him.