Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

We stayed at the baby shower a while longer, as did everyone else.

I personally did not enjoy it. Being around so many people who watched me cautiously was putting me on pins and needles. It didn't help that Dorean hung on me quite possessively, making sure everyone knew there was something going on between us. Something that could get us both in trouble, but I didn'thave the heart to tell him to stop.

Something about the way he linked his arm with mine, the way he looked up at me with those sparkling silver eyes, the way his tail wiggled whenever he was excited and his wings fluttered. I couldn't describe how I felt for Dorean and I was afraid of using the L-word. What if I was wrong? What if I said it and something bad happened? I couldn't bring myself to risk it.

Besides, no point in using it now when Dorean was going to be leaving tomorrow, whether he liked it or not. I just couldn't risk having him around. He could be killed or hurt or... worse. He might just leave on his own.

He liked me now, but for how long? I was impossible to deal with. Even I got annoyed with me. I was the textbook definition of an alcoholic. My career was a broker, and I had to take the deal if they had something of equal or greater value to offer, even if the deal wasn't to my liking. Oh sure, I took food to orphans, but that was just something any normal person should be doing. It didn't make me a good person. It just made me a person. Aside from that and collecting artifacts and watching Ghost Hunters on Thursday nights, I had absolutely no other hobbies or interests.

When it came right down to it, I was the worst person to get involved with. I think even Hades had more of a life than I did.

And that was saying something.

"Stop that." Dorean's voice cut into my thoughts and I looked down to see him scowling up at me. I scowled back at him.

"I wasn't doing anything that time." I replied defensively. Dorean shook his head and motioned for me to stoop down. For some reason, I obeyed and he took my face between his hands, using his thumbs to pull at the corners of my mouth.

"You were making a very sad face there for a second. I want you to be happy." He said with a pout. I almost actually smiled at that, and Dorean saw it, his face lighting up. He quick pulling and pinching at my face to take my hand and kiss my fingertip. A shiver stole up my spine, but this time, it wasn't someone summoning me. It was Dorean stealing another piece of my heart.

"You guys are awfully cuddly." And just like that, a dark cloud covered the sun and I withdrew my hand from Dorean's to shove it into my jacket pocket, glaring at Hades, who stood there looking like he was completely innocent. Even worse, Cerberus was beside him and, being the majestic mutt he was, was chugging a big bottle of Budlight. Actually taller than Hades with layered black hair that fell past his shoulders and eyes as red as blood, Cerberus was the monster creation made for the sole purpose of protecting the gates to the Underworld, keeping both souls in and out. He was the main source of income for the Goth community in Styx. He wore black leather pants with red stitching down the sides to match his knee high skull-buckled boots and his cropped black leather jacket without a shirt on underneath.

"I didn't think you guys were a thing." Cerberus deadpanned, glancing back and forth between Dorean and I. I went to open my mouth and explain it, but Dorean cut me off by grabbing my arm and sticking his chin out to look up at Cerberus.

"We been a thing." He responded confidently. Cerberus looked amused, as did Hades.

"How cute," Hades drawled with enough sarcasm to turn the Sahara Desert into the Sahara Ocean, "I take it Dorean's still going to be living with you, right?" I pinned him with a withering glare that he responded to with a shit-eating grin. Dorean seemed curious by that, but nodded to him. Hades glanced at him, amused.