Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Horror swallowed me like an ice cold blanket.

Callias stood in Apollo's garden dedicated to the god's previous lover, Hyacinth. The hot bright sun overhead cast a golden glow across the garden, making colors brighter, including Callias's vivid red hair that fell in a long braid laced with gold tinsel over his shoulder. His transparent white robes fell in waves to the cobblestone path. But what really terrified me was that Dorean stood beside him, looking a little confused, but not panicky.

"What's going on?" I asked through clenched teeth. Callias looked relieved that I wasn't yelling at him like usual, which I should be, but I couldn't bring myself to do that to Dorean. I knew very well that he hated loud noises and my yelling would just make him hate me... or maybe that would be a good idea.

"I figured the only way to talk to you would be to get your imp," Callias admitted, making me seethe hatefully, wishing I couldn't rip every little strand of red hair off his head, "And the best part is that he had a coin on him. Or rather, more than one." Callias uncupped his hands from in front of him and dropped what seemed like endless coins from his hands that had also been hidden in his sleeves. There had to be at least fifty coins. My eyes widened and I snapped my head to look at Dorean, who flushed right to the tips of his pointed ears. Callias looked both amused and annoyed.

"It would seem there is someone else who loves you as much as I do, Xenon." He commented. Dorean frowned, folding his arms over his chest, giving Callias an annoyed glare.

"Yes, but Xenon don't like me that way." He replied. Callias grinned at him.

"But he does. That's why he's not screaming and leaving me like he always does." He replied. Dorean gave pause at that, glancing at me, then looked at Callias with interest.

"Who are you?" He asked. Callias smiled and opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off with an angry snarl.

"Shut your damn mouth, Callias, before I rip your tongue out." I threatened. Callias looked at me and Dorean frowned. He gave me that stern look again.

"Xenon, shut up." He stated. I didn't even know what to say to that. Nobody, not even my own siblings nor my father, had ever told me to shut up. No one ever dared to say such a thing to me. And yet, an imp had just done it so casually and without a glint of fear in those silver eyes. Even Callias looked perplexed before his face lit up with delight.

"My name is Callias... And Xenon is my brother." He added. Dorean's eyes widened in surprise before he turned to stare at me for the longest time. I expected him to become angry, but much to my surprise, and annoyance, he turned to Callias brightly.

"I'm Dorean." He replied. Callias smiled even further.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Dorean. My brother refuses to tell me about you. We have a bit of a disagreement--"

"Disagreement," I sputtered indigenously, "You...! I can't...!" I couldn't even find the words to describe how much I wanted to murder Callias. So I settled for actions instead and lunged for him, but Dorean came to stand between us and I instantly pulled up short, sucking in a sharp breath before letting it out past clenched teeth.

"Move." I ordered. Dorean glared at me.

"Don't tell me what to do."

"Dorean, I'm not kidding around. I'm going to kill him."

"Why?"

"Because! Just move!"

"No," Dorean snapped back angrily, "You're yelling and I don't like being yelled at. What did I say before? About hating people?"