Scary : Grandma's Cake

There are many versions of this story, but this one I plan to tell. :) And it's kind of related to Red Riding Hood. 

_________________________________________________

Jane was on her way to her grandma's house which was on the other side of the forest. Jane's mom just baked a strawberry shortcake and there were extras, so she asked Jane to bring it to grandma. The cake was placed in a brown basket for Jane to hold easier. 

Since it was still morning, the sky was baby blue with white clouds passing by from time to time.  The trees were green and big, swaying along with the wind. Jane thought, Maybe I should take a break. 

And so, she did. 

She placed the cake beside a bush and raced off. She chased bunnies and squirrels, though she can't climb trees and fit in a bunny hole. It was so much fun that the sun had started to set. 

When all the bunnies and squirrels had left and Jane couldn't find anymore, she remembered the cake. She panicked and found the cake still beside the bush. She was relieved. 

But then, her stomach started to growl. She was hungry. She hadn't eaten ever since she left the house this morning. Her gaze dropped to the basket. 

Grandma wouldn't notice if I just took a piece, Jane thought. So along the way, she would pluck a little piece of the cake every now and then. 

Once she reached her grandma's house, she couldn't wait to see her grandma's happy face that she ran toward the door.

But Jane stopped short. As she ran, the basket moved with her hand easily. And as she took a peek inside the basket, she saw...

That the strawberry shortcake was only a little piece left. 

Horrified that she took more than a little, Jane put the basket just in front of grandma's door and ran home. 

When she got home, her mom scolded her for being home so late and told her to go upstairs to her room. Jane felt so awful that she didn't argue. Once in her room, she hid under the covers of her bed, fearing that grandma will surely get mad at her. 

And she drifted into sleep out of regret.

An hour later, Jane awoke with the sound of a raspy voice. 

"Jane. I'm outside of your front door." 

Jane's eyes grew wide. She hid went further down the covers, her eyes fixed to the door. 

"Jane, I'm coming up the stairs."

And at that moment, she heard footsteps coming closer... and closer....

"Jane, I'm outside you bedroom door."

With this, Jane buried her face under the blankets, shivering. Then, she heard a creak.

The creak of a door opening.

Footsteps. 

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Silence.

"Jane, I'm next to your bed." 

Jane shut her eyes as tightly as she could, clutching the blanket as if she wanted to strangle it. "I'm sorry, grandma! I'm sorry!" 

Silence.

"Jane? Are you alright?"

Jane opened her eyes at the sound of her mother's voice. But for some reason, it sounded muffled. 

"Mom?" Jane slowly took the blanket off her head and saw...

A boney corpse of her grandma was standing by her bed, her bleeding eyes locked on Jane's, smirking. 

Then suddenly, Jane's stomach started hurting. When she looked at her stomach, it was wide open, blood staining her bed from head to toe. 

Looking back at her grandma, she gasped with shock.

In the grandma's mouth was blood mixed with intestines and guts. Also something really familiar. 

Strawberries. 

___________________________________________________________