Any Dream or Reality Would Do

I sat alone this time. It was quite besides the buzzing you hear before falling asleep. The nonexistent buzz of my thoughts that were left to the colored vision in my head. It was a tainted thought; to be so alone on the inside, and surrounded by so many people on the outside of me. I usually would not weep over plain things like this. But... When I did I could feel it. I could feel the overwhelming sorrow; my tainted sorrow.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

"Star."

The voice began quietly.

"Hey, Star."

Then it echoed closer and eventually cleared into focus like a camera would before a picture snapped.

"Eh?" I groggily breathed out.

My eyes were still adjusting to the light; my sight having not fully recovered yet made everything seem blurry and watered together. My internal clock told me it was close to sunset, and the washed colors did not lie as I finally awoke. The room was dyed coral with the sun's last light pouring through the see-through curtains beyond the couch. I tried to sit up, pushing myself up pathetically with my forearms. I was doing well for still being half asleep, until my head clashed with another.

"Ow!" Dazai clutched his forehead, feeling the same sharp pains as I.

"Dazai? What are you doing?" I asked while rubbing the top of my head.

"Well," He ruffled his mop of dark chocolate hair back into its wavy place."I was waking you up. Chuuya has food ready."

He was right. I began to smell the familiar scent of Chuuya's wine infused cooking, and realized how hungry I was. A book slid off my stomach as I sat up quicker than I should have. Dazai stood up from his sitting position on the floor, brushing off his tan slacks and smoothing out his black vest. He outsretched a hand excessively elegantly, and helped me up from the couch.

"My lady." Dazai crooned with a smirk.

"You're such a nerd, Dazai." I playfully punched his side.

"Oi, hurry up before the food gets cold." Chuuya poked his head from around the kitchen wall. "We're celebrating tonight, so if this all goes to shit, I'm blaming Dazai."

"But, Chuuya~!" Dazai rolled the vowels of the redhead's name, which annoyed Chuuya immensely.

"No 'buts', you waste of oxygen. Star, slap him for me."

And with that Chuuya went back into the kitchen. I looked up at Dazai and he looked back at me. I shrugged, and complied with Chuuya's wishes.

"Star! That's the second act of abuse you've inflicted on me today!" Dazai whined while caressing his cheek. "Why do you side with Chuuya?"

"I don't side with him." I said. "I'm neutral." I smiled slyly, and skipped into the kitchen.

Chuuya had just set down the last plate. He whipped the dish towel hanging over his shoulder onto the counter, opened the cabinet, and delicately reached for three wine glasses. He skillfully held all three in one hand while grabbing a bottle of wine resting at the end of the counter with another.

"You need any last minute help, Chuuya?" I asked as he set down the glasses at each setting on the table.

"Uh, no, actually. I think this is as perfect as it can be." Chuuya said with a sigh of contempt.

"Mm, Chuuya! It looks nice in here! You went all out this time, hat-rack." Dazai chirped.

"Sit down before I decide to punch your stupid face, bastard." Chuuya snarled while focusing on pouring the wine.

Dazai and I sat down just as Chuuya finished filling his glass. I folded my napkin on my lap, and reached for my glass of wine. I swirled it around and took a whiff, inhaling the scent of red.

"So, what hath Chuuya prepared for thy partners tonight?" I requested.

"Cumin [and wine] griddled scallops with chickpea salad and red pepper tahini, and for the wine, I picked Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1865. The price for one bottle excluding tax is over twenty-four thousand dollars, so if either of you spill any, you're dead."

"Chuuya I'm surprised you brought out such a prize." I gasped, eyes wide like saucers.

"Well, the city was once again saved from destruction and all that, and I celebrate with high standards, so I felt it was an appropriate decision." Chuuya stated in his matter-of-fact tone.

"Hmm, that's nice." Dazai thought aloud. "Before Shorty gets drunk off his ass, I propose a toast."

Chuuya expressed his growing anger with clenched fists because he knew if he did anything else, his precious wine would end up splattered on the floor.

"What are we toasting to?" I inquired.

Dazai thought for a moment, his vermillion irises lost in thought. Chuuya's stark blue eyes wandered over to me, then to Dazai. Dazai's features lit up with a sudden clue, and he raised an index finger to sign he would announce it.

Lifting up his glass, Dazai closed his eyes.

"To the wings of mercy over the city."

The glasses met in sync along with all three voices. The red liquid inside sloshed around gently, not quite reaching the rim of the glass. I brought the wine to my lips, and leaned my head back. The wine tasted slightly sweet and savory; it was a classic combination.

The voices in my head began to confer.
This was not how it happened. I thought back: yes it was. Dazai and Chuuya's voices began to fade, to glitch. The room began to shift into white, everything leaking into the same blank color. No, no, that was how it ended.

The room was completely white, and it began to sink into a deep, navy blur. The vision was over, and the sting of salt enveloped the edges of my eyes. Tears began to blur whatever I had left to see, and a lump built up in my throat. I struggled to gasp for breath, and strangled sobs spilled from my lips.

Keep lying to yourself. Keep telling yourself all of this was real, and when you find it isn't...begin again.