Chapter Two

Luke met me on the way to the lunch, grabbing my hand from behind. "Hey," he kissed me on my cheek, flashing me a bright white smile.

"Hey," I responded and pulled him along in the hall.

We strolled between tables through the cafeteria; I carried my brown paper bag of lunch. Today I had chosen to wear a romper with the boots my mother bought for me over the summer. Luke, of course, didn't approve of it when he picked me up but I thought I looked good and that was all that mattered, right?

Dodging conversations from outsiders, I made my way over to my group's usual spot, but was interrupted by someone calling my name. "Lily!" the girl's voice yelled.

I turned around, raising an eyebrow before spotting the source and walking over hand in hand with Luke. She was surrounded at her table by a few guys I recognized from the football team and a couple cheerleaders. "Hey Layne," I smiled. "What's up?"

"Guess what?" she said excitedly, tapping her manicured nails on the table.

"Hmm?"

"I got tickets to that concert festival downtown this weekend! I'm so pumped, they're doing a Labor Day celebration, it's gonna be awesome!" she screeched.

"You'll have fun," I laughed.

She looked confused, twirling her red hair around her finger, "I have an extra ticket for you, silly! I thought you would want to go!"

"Oh, umm..." I glanced at Luke out of the corner of my eye who was shaking his head.

"We had plans?" he murmured.

"Right," I looked back at her, "My parents-I mean...there's a family event that I have to be in town for...like a reunion...something like that..." I muttered awkwardly.

"Oh," she jutted out her bottom lip, upset.

"...but I'm sure Kate would like to go," I said with a shrug.

"Oh, yeah, Kate!" she nodded eagerly. "Wait, but aren't your parents divorced or something?"

"Yeah...it's complicated," I said, clearly just wanting to sit down and eat lunch! "You should ask Kate later, bye Layne," I grinned cheekily.

"Will do, see ya!"

"Yeah," I muttered before walking quickly away.

Luke squeezed my hand lightly, "She just doesn't stop, does she?"

"Nope," I rolled my eyes.

"Well thanks for that, I'm glad we still have some plans," he bumped my hip playfully.

"No problem pretty boy," I winked.

He laughed under his breath, leading us to our table. He sat and I plopped down in between my boyfriend and best friend. "Kate, Layne wants to talk to you later," I said.

She nodded, "Okiedokie."

Rummaging through my bag, I realized I didn't have a sandwich and probably left it on the counter. I sighed deeply. "Ugh."

"What's wrong, love?" Luke wrapped an arm around my waist, leaning his head over mine.

"I forgot my sandwich," I frowned.

He rolled his eyes, scootching his own sandwich in front of me, "I'm not hungry."

I smiled, "Thanks babe."

He shook his head with a smile tugging at the corner of his lips, before jumping into a conversation with another guy, Ryan, who had been sitting with us lately. I assumed he had a thing for Kate because of how often he started up conversation with her, but kept quiet about it for the time being.