Chapter 13

The first thing I felt when I woke up was the absence of cold metal on my ankle. The second thing was a comfortable bed beneath me.

That's strange. Jesse wouldn't take it off. And he definitely wouldn't trade out beds.

Wait. This isn't Jesse' house. All of the memories came flooding back from our escape. Then I remembered my babies.

"Where are my babies?" I croaked out, my throat sore and dry. 

"Don't worry about them ma'am. They're safe." a male voice said.

"No! They're not okay! They need to be with me! Please go get them. I need my babies."

The doctor left and moments later I heard the sounds of my babies. I could tell that they were being rolled into the room.

I felt one of my daughters climb up beside me on the bed. She snuggled into my side and held me with her arms.

"It's okay, baby." I opened up my eyes and I saw Scarlett at my bedside.

Her big green eyes told me that she was frightened. I held her close to me as she started crying.

I looked around, looking for Bonnie. Fear struck through me when I didn't find her. I turned to the doctor who was just about to leave the room.

"Where's my baby?" I asked fiercely.

The doctor looked uncertain for a moment, and fake sadness grew over his face.

"What happened to my baby?" I asked again, my voice not quite as powerful. Oh, God, what if she was dead? My Bonnie couldn't be dead, she couldn't be. 

"She grew a fever overnight. She is in a fever-induced coma but she should wake up anytime."

"Oh, God." The doctor turned to leave once again. "Bring her in here." I requested. "I want my face to be the first she sees when she wakes up."

"Ma'am, that ma-"

"No. You will bring her in here or I will find her and bring her in here myself." 

The doctor reminded me of a mouse, the way he scurried away after he agreed. His mouse-like face didn't help either.

Scarlett looked at me just a big fat tear slipped out of her eye.

"Is Bon-bon okay?" Scarlett asked. Scarlett had recently taken to calling Bonnie Bon-bon. It was quite adorable.

"I don't know baby. But don't worry, she'll get better." I was forever the optimist.

"Promise?"

"I promise she'll get better." I had to promise, even though I didn't know if I could fulfill that promise.

Just then, a nurse rolled in with Bonnie's bed. She looked so tiny there on that bed with a million different tubes sticking out of her. My heart sank for my firstborn.

Once the nurses left, Scarlett got off my bed and went over to Bonnie.

"Bon-bon? You okay Bon-bon?" Scarlett gently poked her sister. 

"Lettie, don't do that. That's not gonna help her. Come here and we'll sleep, okay?" I said, and Scarlett scampered over to me. 

"Will you pwotect me while I sweep?" Lettie asked.

"Yes. I promise." I knew that the two of them would be afraid of anyone else. I knew Scarlett had tensed up when the doctor and the nurse entered.

Soon enough, Lettie was softly snoring against my side. It wasn't a loud snore, but enough to fill the room. It was peaceful.