Chapter 10

A year had passed since Scarlett's birth, and it was almost Bonnie's third birthday. I had finally gotten Jesse to tell me Scarlett's birthday. April 16. May 25. Mine was June 5. April, May, June. I was going to be thirty-one in June. Thirty-one and two kids. Thirty-one and kidnapped for nearly four years. Thirty-one and tortured.

I wiped these thoughts from my mind and focused on my two little toddlers. Bonnie and Scarlett were playing around a little bit, but not as boisterous as a year ago. Bonnie's spirit was leaving her, I could tell, and it hurt me. We should have been gone from here by now. James should've found us.

James. Every thought of him nearly made me tear up. I had learned to control my emotions around my babies, and if I cried Bonnie would worry like crazy. She was maturing much too quickly. Much too quickly for a little three-year-old. But James. Oh, James. He was my love, my life, and he wasn't here with me. He wasn't here. I was glad he wasn't here though. I didn't want him here experiencing this torture. I wouldn't wish this life on my worst enemy. I missed him so much. I missed him too much. If he was still looking for me I didn't want him to stop, but I didn't want him to waste his life on me. I wanted him to move on. I wasn't getting out of here anytime soon.

Jesse had only gotten crazier and crazier. He was cutting me and raping me more often, and he had started cutting Bonnie. Not many cuts, just one cut about once every three or four days, but it still angered me. It infuriated me that I couldn't do anything. If I did something, Jesse would hurt me worse, hurt my babies and possibly kill them.

Jesse grew to really like Bonnie though. Like Bonnie like he likes me, without the sex. I think he liked her because he thought she was his firstborn child, even though she looked a lot like James. But James and Jesse did look a lot alike, surprisingly, so he could have easily mistake James' looks for his own.

I thought about all of this as I laid on the bed, sick as a dog. I had recently had a miscarriage. Jesse had gotten me pregnant yet again, but he had gone on a rampage and beaten me and cut me and raped me. Two days later, I realized that I had had a miscarriage. It hurt, and the miscarriage, bruises and cuts did not make for a pretty Mommy. Bonnie had looked after me, feeding me while taking care of her little sister. Although I was getting better, it was still tough do so anything but sleep.

Bonnie and Scarlett had really gotten close over the past year, Bonnie even trying to teach Scarlett how to walk. Scarlett usually looked at her dumbfoundedly as Bonnie demonstrated placing one foot after the other. After a while, they both got frustrated and they napped, one on each side of me.

This had become part of our normal schedule. Jesse would usually come when we woke up, and that would last several hours. Afterwards, we would all nap again and after that nap, we would take our baths. After our baths I let Bonnie, Scarlett and I (if I were well) would play and mess around. When we were all tired, we all fell asleep and the cycle started over. I loved my two babies, and if they were out of this hellhole, I wonder what type of kids they would be.

Now we were approaching the third and final nap stage. Bonnie and Scarlett lumbered over to the bed. Bonnie lifted Scarlett up onto the bed, and she crawled over to me while Bonnie got on my other side.

"Hey, Bonnie, why don't you bring me that book over there and I'll read to you two."

I had reread Gone With the Wind three times already, and The Wizard of Oz six times. I had started reading The Wizard of Oz when Bonnie was born, but quit when Bonnie became a handful. Now I decided that a story before bedtime would be good. Bonnie brought the book over to me and I began reading. We made it to the second chapter before I realized that both of my babies were asleep. Apparently L. Frank Baum knew how to get a kid to sleep. I wonder if he knew that when he wrote the book.

I put the book down and brought the covers up to me, careful not to cover my babies' head. My thoughts wandered, just thinking about random things. It became increasingly cold in the room, and the chain around my ankle was ice-cold, freezing my entire leg.

I was about to fall asleep when Jesse burst into the room holding a piece of paper. It looked like a card.

"Looks like your precious James doesn't care about you anymore!" James cackled. He reminded me of the Evil Witch in The Wizard of Oz.

"What are you talking about?" I asked groggily. I heard Bonnie let out a groan. I didn't want them to wake up.

"James is getting married! Look, here's the card!" He tossed me a card. I looked down at it and gaped.

James was getting married! My James that said he'd be with me forever! Tears streaked down my cheeks.

"I guess you're all mine, sweetheart." Jesse said, and locked the door behind him.

James truly wasn't looking for me anymore. He was gone. Truly gone.

It was so quiet, I think I heard my heart broke.

Sorry this chapter is a little short. But you now know that James' doesn't care for Belle anymore, or does he? Keep reading and please vote and comment! I super appreciate it!