Chapter 35: River

Jaidan

I woke up to an unfamiliar clanging of metal on the ground.

''Sorry.'' My eyes were groggy as I rubbed the sleep from them to bring the face in front of me into focus.

Dark hair fell in tresses along pale skin as vanilla and lavender soothed my senses as he messed around with the metal bowl he had dropped roughly on the ground, thankfully none of the contents spilling from it.

His eyes connected with mine and I had to rub my eyes again to see if I was truly awake. His eyes were no longer red and bruised, they were amber, a mix of golden honey at the center and green just lining the darkened rim fading to black before it met the whites of his eyes.

The once bruised pale skin held no bruises, no hand prints, no cuts. It wasn't even as pale as before either, it held more of a naturally pale hue almost tanned, unlike last night where it looked like the finest porcelain.

Were my eyes playing tricks? This was definitely the same person from the scent but they looked different, less fragile.

''You need to eat.'' The same words as the night before.

My eyes flickered between his and the food before I hesitantly reached for it and started eating the watery soup which tasted a lot worse now that I was no longer hungry or trying to wash away a foul taste.

The boy kept watching me with calculating eyes, his stare making me more than a little uncomfortable but it wasn't like I could move away from his gaze, I was shackled to the spot.

''Is anyone coming for you?'' His question took me by surprise.

''I'm not sure.'' My eyes fell upon the thick chain and back to my food where I continued to eat it knowing their twisted hospitality may only last for so long.

He didn't say another word as I ate the food in front of me. It tasted similar to when you didn't mix the right ratio of cordial to water as if you put a cap full of a nasty cordial to a liter of water and just added chunks of aged meat and surely molded vegetables.

As I finished up he gathered the bowl and utensils before turning away to leave without saying anything other than staring at me as if he was silently asking me something, begging for something but he looked frustrated at me as well.

''What's your name?'' The chain rattled as I moved closer to him to try and stop him from leaving but he kept walking.

''River.''

''I like that name. I'm Jaidan.''

River's legs stopped moving, his head turned only a fraction enough for me to see a smirk forming on his lips.

''You wouldn't like it anymore if you knew how I got it. My people earn our names from what we do; what catastrophes we cause.'' He continued walking without a single glance back at me.

I was confused, River was such a soft name it suited him, I'm sure he was kind and soft natured under all this horror so how could it be born from something I wouldn't like?

As my eyes followed him they soon connected with those sinister moss green orbs that held nothing but malice and hate. He was watching me, licking his lips like a feral dog causing me to recoil on myself as if his eyes could do damage to me with just a single glance.

When River approached him his hand shot out and grabbed the smaller boy by the back of the neck and dragged him behind the boulder to wherever the rogue pack kept themselves.

As the day grew slightly warmer as the sun rose I was slowly reaching the point of insanity. I was heading straight for the looney bin. My mind was running in circles trying to imagine exactly what was going to happen with me.

You don't just kidnap someone, feed them and leave them to go insane before winter approached and they froze to death did you?

My fingers had already draw patterns, pictures, and words into every inch of dirt I could find, cover and then scratch into again just to keep my mind active and my body moving, not that I could move much.

I had already tried tugging the chain from the anchor it was buried to in the earth but failed, I tried squeezing my foot through the bruising shackle without success and I even contemplated just chewing straight through my foot but quickly scratched that off of my list of possibilities. I was rather fond of my feet and I had seen how things like that turn out. I had seen 127 Hours and Saw, neither looks pleasant.

I was startled by a sudden tightness around my neck like a noose had been tied and I was being dragged backward before I fell back onto a large body and thick legs wrapped around me to keep me still as the thing around my neck was tightened further.

Just as quickly as the person was there, they weren't anymore, but I was still left with the thick leather collar wrapped around my neck and padlocked in the back. Every time I tugged on it manically two metal prongs on the front stabbed me in the neck on either side of my Adam's Apple.

It didn't take long to register that it was a shock collar. I had seen ads on our television about them, cringing every second I thought that some poor relative of my wolf had to wear one for their owner to show dominance to their pet.

My eyes watered as I stared into the face of the man that had run wild through my nightmares since the first time he had terrorised me when I was younger.

''Well, don't you look pretty?'' His voice was like a snake, it slithered into my ears and hissed the words like acid.

My fingers were still trying to create some space between the leather and my neck but the collar was so tight I couldn't even fit one finger between the small space.

''Answer me.'' The soft click of a button was barely heard before my eyes screwed shut in pain, my legs curling beneath me, my forehead resting on the floor as my arms gripped my head trying to still the pulsing of electricity sparking within me.

A familiar rumble started in my chest and worked its way up my throat as I growled at my attacker. He didn't like that one bit as another jolt of pain pulsed throughout my body causing my muscles to lock painfully.

''Enough.'' Those piercing blue eyes from earlier bore into me as a tanned hand grabbed my arm and lifted me onto my feet. ''River is hungry, go feed him. We don't want a repeat of last time. The leech can barely keep himself in check when he is satisfied.''

The man left with a frustrated click of his tongue, handing over the remote to who seemed to be the leader. There was something familiar in those eyes, something soft, but something rabid as well.

''We weren't always like this you know. I wish there could have been another way...'' Warm flesh slid from my arm to my cheek where it gently caressed my skin. ''...but you see, you took everything from me.''

My head was ripped back in a fist full of my hair with a powerful force, enough to hear a sick crack of my bones as they jolted so suddenly.

Sharp rocks pierced my side like serrated knives while gravel clawed its way over my skin as I was thrown back with a force I had never experienced, my nails breaking and collecting dirt as I tried to slow my body from sliding too far until my leg was yanked by the metal chain and abruptly stopped my body.

''How an omega could be born from an Alpha is despicable. It's your fault she died.'' His jaw clenched as he turned his back and strolled away from my sight.

Now, I knew who he was.

Myles Moore, previous Alpha of my home pack; my father.

I wasn't really feeling this chapter. I had hoped to double the chapter length that's why I haven't updated but nothing would come to me so I should have just posted it last week. I don't know how I feel I'm kind of at a standstill. Let me know what you guys think?