Chapter 28: Blood and Fur

Jaidan

My feet fell into a sprint into the trees ignoring the sticks and twigs digging into my skin with every step, four large paws pounding beside me as a grey wolf stuck to my side scanning the trees as we approached impending heartache.

My nose twitched angrily as we came closer the where the noise was echoing from and the sight before me caused me to stand still in shock.

Blood and fur matted the muddy brown, leaf littered ground as a small pup laid seemingly lifeless, his blood spilling from multiple bites, brown, black and grey wolves yipping and cheering at the sight, their bloodshot eyes looking blood hungry as they licked their red stained chops.

Tremors twitched through the small body being circled by wolves ten times its size as they each took turns lunging at it before backing off and barking, encouraging the next wolf to take its turn to tear at the struggling pup.

My body started moving on its own as I approached the scene, only to have my arm ripped back abruptly by a large hand.

''I told you to go inside!'' Tate whispered angrily as he looked between me and the rogues in front of us who were too engrossed in what they were doing to notice us only a few meters behind them, trees barely blocking their view.

''What....what're they doing?'' My voice stuttered without my consent as I cringed at another merciless attack and turned my watery eyes back to the man in front of me.

''They're exiling him, he's an omega.'' His words were so casual I almost couldn't believe they had left his mouth.

''I'm an omega.'' My voice didn't falter once as I ripped my arm from my mate and nodded at Charlie to continue on with me, his head upturned to Tate as we walked away.

My arm was snatched again as a massive black wolf barreled past us and into the brawl before more followed into battle, the rogues startled for a moment before their hungry eyes turned from the unmoving pup.

''Take him back home.'' Tatum bit out as he pushed me towards Charlie who moved to steady my feet at the force.

Tatum shifted into his wolf as he went to battle beside his father and uncle to chase the wolves off of their territory.

It astonished me that no one went to check the pup as I ran towards it before teeth grabbed onto my shirt and held me back. I felt like huffing in annoyance at the people pulling me around like I was on a leash as I turned my annoyance to Charlie.

His big grey head shook.

''He's gone.''

I got angrier as he let go of my clothing and ran towards the young pup who could only be a few months old.

He did look dead as I walked up to him and knelt beside him, my hand trembling as I scooped him up onto my lap and brushed some of the leaves out of his matted coat. I couldn't even tell what his fur colour was through the mud and blood caking his small body.

''A rogue pack has no use for a weak wolf.''

My jaw clenched as I grinded my teeth, my grip tightening on the pup's body before a barely audible whimper escaped him, his chest rose and collapsed in faltering breathes.

''He's alive.'' My eyes widened as I started at the bundle in my lap before I ripped to my feet, tugging my shirt off and wrapping the small body into it before dashing off towards the den, not noticing the leaves and branches whipping at my body and scratching their claws into my skin.