Chapter 7 - Cyber Attack

---Sage's POV---

I sighed, exhausted and sad to the bone, as I left the office with a heavy heart. The army had contacted me a few days after dad's unit arrived in our house, to inform me of his death and the will he had left behind.

His will was simple; all his belongings were to be shared amongst my siblings and me, since my father was an only child and his parents had passed away several years ago. I shook my head; still feeling slightly shocked at the insane amount of money dad had managed to collect over the years.

The representative of the army had given me a look into the coronary's report, which clearly showed me that there was no way dad could've survived the attack. The bullets were well aimed, two pierced through his right lung and one had managed to pierce through his vertebrae and clipped one of his major arteries.

A few tears streaked down my face before I wiped them away and gave the documents back to the man, who offered me a genuine sad smile. Like he said, Dad didn't feel too much in the end.

Silencing the last few snivels, I stepped into my car and quickly made my way back towards home. It still felt strange to come home and realize dad wasn't there, nor would he ever come back. I guess that was the hardest part of mourning.

My cellphone bleeped once, making me look at it before glancing at the light. Since it was still on red, I quickly opened the message and groaned as I read its contents.

"You need to get home soon, they're almost ready." – Davy

"Damn it." I groaned, throwing the cellphone down before I picked up the pace, calling Davy as I took another turn. "Got my message?" He asked as soon as he picked up the phone while I cursed slightly at the slow driver in front of me.

"Yeah, I need you to distract them for a moment until I get there." I replied, feeling rather impatient as the elderly lady was driving slowly on her driveway, reversing every so often so her car was still blocking the streets.

"Hmmm, distract them...I can manage that, I think. They need all of them ready for their plans and I'm sure I can distract Josh, one way or the other." The way Davy just said that made me feel rather sorry for Josh, because I could almost see him biting his lower lip in a tempting way.

Poor Josh indeed.

I shuddered slightly in my seat before replying, "Okay, do whatever it is that you have planned but I don't need him jumping you in the middle of the house Davy. At least let me keep that innocent part of you alive."

A snort was my reply before Davy busted out laughing but he managed to choke out, "Bro', that part of my innocence set sail a long time ago!" he barked another laugh out at my shocked exclamation before he hang up on me to go do whatever he had planned with Josh.

It took the older woman a total of an hour and a half before I simply got out of my car and gently offered her to park it for her. She agreed, saying that her eyesight wasn't what it used to be before she continued to gush and coo over me, saying how the kids nowadays weren't chivalrous anymore and that the world needed more kids like me.

After several compliments and a few pinches in my cheeks later, I managed to say goodbye and quickly rushed home to find a laughing Laura in the middle of the living room, where Declan and Richard both were chuckling as well, Declan staring at the door like he couldn't believe his eyes.

"Okay, what did I miss? What's so funny?"

Declan turned and smiled warmly, creating a fluttering sensation in my stomach as his pearly whites flashed at me. His eyes did a quick scan over my body, which made me blush slightly, though I tried to keep the warmth out of my face.