Chapter 18 - Free fall through the ranks

---Sage's POV---

I faintly remembered the pulsing pain in my arms, sinews and tissues screaming in pain as Grey had grabbed a knife with a murderous glint in his eyes. They found out about the tracker shortly after the dog had mauled both Timothy and me. And all simply because the handler had a scanner on his waist and it went off when he bowed over me, clipping his dog back on a leash.

That's when I found myself being dragged down the hallway and tossed at Grey's feet before the soldier had slammed the scanner down on the desk. Grey had been furious but his state of mind had taken a turn for the worse when the lights went off.

Everyone had scrambled for a weapon, clicking on flashlights while Sgt.Grey had grabbed the knife and proceeded to cut the tracker out in the dim light. I had thought that those slow minutes in the darkness, being blinded by flashlights aimed at my face and the knife carving through my flesh, were my last minutes on Earth. There was no doubt in my mind that Grey would kill me if the back up had finally found me.

My heart had throbbed in my throat when the door was kicked open with a bang and I could've cried as I laid eyes on the heavily decked out soldiers that rushed in and took everyone out in the room.

I could see the fear in my man's eyes before my head was yanked backwards and I closed my eyes, sending a little prayer to the gods above that somehow, I was going to make it out alive. When Grey jerked and released me, I could feel my lip wobble on the sob that threatened to creep out.

Declan had unceremoniously tossed his gun aside as soon as I started to fall down and grabbed me in his arms, trembling all over his body. I wasn't able to do anything but cling onto him like he was my lifeline, the buoy that managed to keep me afloat.

And now here I was, burying my face against Declan's shoulder as he refused to put me down, much to the annoyance of the CASEVAC team. They couldn't really assess my injuries and treat them appropriately without Declan setting me down on the bed. It was only after the pilot threatened to stay put until I was strapped down that Declan finally placed me down and let the team take care of me.

Off course, he was watching them like a hawk.

"Sir, can you tell me your name and what date it is?"

I sighed tiredly and managed to pry my swollen eye open to look at the appointed medic. "My name is Sage Martinez, I have no clue what day it is but I can tell you that I have a concussion, a possible fracture of the radius and ulna, bruising on the mandibula and possible cracking. And I also have a tear in the delta muscle." Silence followed my little rant before I blinked tiredly and kept a tight hold on Declan's hand.

"Anything else?" I could see that despite the situation, Declan's eyes danced with a twitch of amusement as one of the soldiers that rescued me guffawed and slapped him on the back. "Damn, no wonder you were so keen to rescue him. Damn...got anymore where that came from?" The man joked goodheartedly before winking in my direction.

"Sure, " Josh said as he nodded and took a seat beside the bed, ignoring the disgruntled mutters of the medic's team as he sat down and retrieved a rather sharp looking knife from his boot. "He has two other siblings, one brother and a sister. The boy's claimed Killjoy."

"Oh?" Killjoy grinned under his beard as he slowly leaned forwards, glancing at Josh's hands before smirking widely. "There's no ring around your finger to support that claim. Afraid from some honest competition?"

Josh scoffed as he leaned back and strapped himself in the seat. Everyone was taking a seat while the medics fluttered around me, checking my wounds and keeping me stabile until they got me in a hospital. "Scared for Davy? Nah, that boy would chop your balls up and feed them to you if you tried."