Chapter 4 - Bonding with the family

---Sage's POV---

I was relieved that the professors and the doctors I worked with were so understanding of my situation as I told them about dad and how I didn't want the authorities to rip my family apart. They assured me that I was doing the right thing and Dhr. Tyler even gave me his card for when I found myself ready to pursue my dream.

A sigh escaped me as I flipped the card around between my fingers before pocketing it again and making my way back home. Even if I could go back...I don't know, it felt like something had changed. Those doctors back at base couldn't save dad, even with their education.

The loud honk of the car behind me jolted me out of my gloomy thoughts and I put my hand up as apology, since I had been waiting in front of a green light. I was back home a few minutes later, tapping on the remote to lock the car while I fished my keys out of my pocket and opened the door.

Soft voices were murmuring in the living room but I ignored that for now while kicking my shoes out before sighing as I noticed a trail of toys up the stairs. "Really Ellie?" I sighed before crouching down to scoop a set of pink glasses up while gathering a few plush animals in my other hand.

I nearly tripped over her pillow, which somehow found it's way in the middle of the stairs, probably being dragged out of the bed by a sleepy Ellie before she had heard the noise from Richard in the kitchen and came to investigate. I teetered dangerously back and forth until a pair of warm hands was holding me firmly in place.

Looking up in a pair of familiar light hazel eyes did weird things to my stomach as my mouth suddenly dried up. This was the first time that Declan was standing so close to me without pulling away. Instead, his eyes roamed over my face before smiling teasingly.

"Easy there Sage. You don't want to fall down these stairs now, do you." He stated, his fingers pressing firmly against my hips before he removed his hands and picked a few toys up and moved his head, gesturing for me to lead the way.

"Uh, no sir." I said slightly confused but overjoyed that he seemed to be attracted to me. I mentally snorted at myself. "First I didn't want to start anything with him, now I'm happy like a puppy that he gives me some attention. Davy is a bad influence."

I stepped forwards and placed the toys in Ellie's room before grabbing the laundry and moving towards Laura and Davy's rooms to repeat the process. Meanwhile, a curious Declan was following me, watching every move I made. I could almost feel the questions brewing until he finally caved in when we arrived at the washer and I started loading everything in.

"So...what did you do when...your dad...was called in?" he asked, rubbing his neck when he brought dad up. The lump in my throat presented itself with a burning sensation before I swallowed past it. "Everything, basically. I cooked, cleaned, brought the others to school and followed my own classes in between." I stated while pouring some liquid soap in the destined cup and started everything before finally looking at the man.

His eyes flashed back towards my face, making me eye him curiously before I realized that his gaze had been transfixed on my behind. Declan nodded, trying to ignore the fact that the tops of his ears were growing red under my scrutiny until I smirked to myself and just shook my head.

Ignoring his embarrassment, I simply passed him to go towards the living room, where I took a small notebook so I could figure out where to place these guys permanently and to give them the general layout of the house.

Hearing a soft curse coming from the couch, I looked up and snorted in amusement when I spotted Richard glaring at my laptop, oblivious to the fact that I had returned home and was aware that he was trying to hack into my files.