Revelations

Riley woke up as she felt the SUV come to a quick stop. Her eyes slowly opened. She felt groggy and everything was blurry. Tommy's voice brought her direction to the front of the car.

"We just got here. Okay. Call me when you're here." Tommy threw the phone in his pocket and hopped out of the car. He opened the back seat and slowly pulled Riley into his arms. Her green eyes lazily met his. She groaned as he adjusted his grip.

"I'm sorry. Just stay awake okay baby?" He spoke softly to her but in a rush as he carried her through the emergency room doors. The lights were bright and Riley immediately closed her eyes. She was exhausted. Sore, in pain and tired. All she wanted to do was sleep.

Tommy's voice was a vibration she felt in his arms. He held on to her tightly. He was warm and comfortable and protective...

A bitter scent flooded Riley's nose and jolted her awake again. A round faced nurse smiled at Riley who stared back with a frown.

"Do you know where you are?" The nurse said, flashing a light in her eyes. Riley blinked her eyes quickly and heard the nurse repeat the question.

In a grunt she answered back, "Hospital."

"What's your name?" The nurse asked.

"Riley." She grunted back.

"Good. And how are you feeling?" She placed a gloved finger over Riley's face and wiped away the dried blood under her nose.

"Fine. Sore. And tired." Riley grumbled.

The nurse kept talking but Riley heard nothing else. She just wanted to sleep. She laid her head back in the chair and closed her eyes...

Riley's eyes fluttered opened as she grasped her stomach. The hospital room was bright and sterile and made her want to be sick. The light was too much to bear and the smell of anti-bacterial everything was stinging her nose.

"Ugh." She rubbed her face and flinched at the soreness.

"Riley, you're awake!"

She looked over to her brother who flung his newspaper down and rushed over to her side.

"You're here? How long have I been..." she didn't know what to say. She was tired not comatose. She woke up every so often to voices or nurses poking and prodding but didn't remember how long it was since the last uniformed person was in her room.

"Its been a week Riley." Jack said with a straight face.

"What?!" Riley lurched forward, grabbing her stomach again.

"Shit, sis I was only kidding. We just got here a couple hours ago but you've been sleeping." He put a hand on the top of her head and took her appearance in. She was pale, her face a little swollen. But she looked a whole hell of a lot better than she should have looked.

"We?" Riley's face frowned. "Mom and Dad are here?" She felt even more sick now.

"Yeah, Anna called and told me what happened so we rushed over" He watched her take in deeper breaths, as if to steady herself. "Let me call the nurse."

"I'm gonna throw up. Just..." Riley put a finger in the air and closed her eyes. The bile was rising in her throat and she didn't know if she would even make it to the bathroom. Jack grabbed the bedpan that was on the table and shoved it in front of his sister.

"Nurse!" He flung the door open and called for help. A nurse followed by Tommy came running to the room.

"What happened?" Tommy asked Jack in one breath.