Distraction

Tommy lifted the sledgehammer above his head and brought it down fast, breaking the concrete underneath him. He missed. The giant tire sat, untouched, mocking him.

"You're distracted." Paddy stated. Tommy ignored him and swung again, this time hitting the tire. He kept on, lifting, dropping and slamming the tire with the hammer. Picking up his pace after each hit. Finally the hammer hit the tire and with an uneven bounce it went flying out of his hands and across the junk yard.

"Enough!" Paddy got up and yelled. "Go run off whatever this is Tommy. You need to focus or you can forget the tournament!"

Tommy tightened his fists, feeling his rage building up. He let out a loud grunt and took off. It had been a week since he saw her with him. He hated thinking about it, yet couldn't escape it. He had opened up to her and felt such a quick and deep connection to Riley.

It truly broke his heart to know that he could never have her.

"Oh my god, your face." Riley stood in shock as her best friend walked into the shop, wearing a very large smile on her face.

"What?" Anna blushed.

"Are you blushing?" Riley's green eyes grew wide.

"What's wrong with my face?" A couple days ago, a man came in and bought one of Anna's pieces, then came back in the same night to ask her out to dinner. They had been inseparable ever since.

"Nothing! I just don't think I have ever seen you look so, so... happy."

"Like when you came home from hanging out with Tommy?" Anna wiggled her eyebrows at Riley.

A stern faced Riley narrowed her eyes and turned away.

"What happened anyway? I haven't seen him around in a while." Anna took a muffin out of the bag she had brought in and began to pick at it.

"I don't know." Riley washed her paint ridden hands and wiped them dry. She grabbed a muffin from Anna and walked into the office.

"Well, I think you should go to the gym and see him again." Riley roller her eyes.

"So I should stalk him? Great idea Anna."

"No, just visit. There is a difference."

Riley shoved a large piece of muffin in her mouth so she could avoid more conversation.

"All I'm saying is that you looked genuinely happy after your "non-date" with him so why not continue being happy? Life's short Ri." Anna had raised her hands and signaled the quotation when she said non-date, making Riley roll her eyes yet again.

"I have a boy-"

"A boyfriend. Yeah. Blah blah. Spare me." An exasperated Anna lifted her arms in the air. "There's nothing wrong with being friends with someone that makes you happy." And with that she walked to the back.

Riley sat chewing on the end of a pen while checking her email. She must have opened over four emails before realizing that she hadn't actually read a single one.

She was distracted.

She grabbed her coat and walked to the back. Anna was on the phone but she interrupted her anyway.

"I'm going out."

Anna smiled, knowingly.

The cold air whipped Tommy's face numb, but still he ran. He couldn't shake her from his mind and he hated to admit it, but his father was right. If he was going to win this tournament, he had to get rid of his distractions. He pushed himself harder and harder, seeing his face as he ran.