Steam

Riley kept her hand steady as she swung her brush around a curve, forming the letter "S" in pink. The music flooded her ears and kept her in an upbeat mood. She had a lot to look forward to, Anna's bachelorette and wedding, Tommy's tournament... But there was still something looming over her, like an ominous cloud. She pushed the thought out and away from her mind.

She hummed along, keeping her thoughts busy with other things.

But when our fingers interlock, can't deny, can't deny you're worth it...

The next few letters were easy. She swiped the "arah" with smooth, fluid strokes. Next came the "L". The letter in cursive always gave her problems. She dabbed the brush in pink paint, and held her breath before she put the brush to the toy chest.

She stopped for a moment, and turned her head to the doorway. Her ominous cloud.

"Tess." Riley stood up and took the headphones out of her ears.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt." Tess smiled sweetly as she stood by the doorway with Max.

"Its okay." She smiled back and nodded to Max who walked back into the storefront after the gesture.

"I hope I haven't caught you at a bad time." Tess looked around the shop and back at Riley who was donned in an apron and covered in paint.

Riley walked over to the sink and washed her hands, letting the water rinse the pink paint away.

"No, not at all. What's up?" Riley already knew, but had to ask anyway.

"I was hoping we could do..." She paused, unsure of her words, "...that thing tonight."

Riley fiddled with the straps on her apron. She opened her mouth to say something but closed it, speechless.

"I know its a lot to ask. But you have to understand, I feel like their relationship is estranged because of me." Tess spoke anxiously.

Riley sighed. "Tess..."

"Please Riley. From what Paddy tells me, Tommy will listen to you." She clasped her hands together, squeezing them tightly.

Riley knew it was true. Tommy would listen to her. But she just didn't feel right doing it the way Tess and Brendan wanted. "Maybe I should tell him."

"Brendan thinks he'll back out if he knows." Tess stared at Riley with pleading eyes.

She took in a deep breath and thought of Tommy. He had mentioned that he was going to contact his brother before they met up at the tournament. Maybe this was the right thing to do.

"Okay. Tonight."

Riley couldn't focus. The "L" was painted, covered, repainted and recovered over a dozen times before Riley threw in the towel.

"Ugh!" She groaned. She washed her hands again and threw her apron on the counter. It was going to be a long night.

"Okay..." Anna said after watching Riley burst into the office. "Where you goin' there missy?"

"I just need some air." She grabbed her coat and left the shop. It was cold and there was still plenty of snow on the ground. She wrapped her scarf around her neck and yanked her beanie down and walked. She passed the little bakery that she made Tommy try macaroons in and smiled. Everything was going to be fine. She hoped.

She reached the gym, frozen from the cold air. The parking lot was full and Riley was partially glad she didn't drive there. She walked in and immediately felt the cold start to thaw off as the warmth from the gym cloaked her.