Epilogue

Dimitri's hand drew a lazy pattern on Lia's back. She lay across his chest. Her ear to his heart. They were both slightly sweaty from the exertions of their love making. Dimitri traced the bruises he could see. It had been a week since the administration of the truth serum and her bruises were just starting to turn green and yellow and heal.

Lia had remained in a coma, hovering between life and death for three full days. Dimitri had never left her side. Sometimes when he despaired Vlad stayed with him. Together they urged Lia to fight.

Dimitri stretched. Half awake Lia moved onto her elbows and looked at his face. She smoothed a strand of hair off his forehead. Gently she shifted up to kiss him on his lips.

Dimitri smiled a satisfied smile and kissed her again more roughly this time. He felt desire course through his body.

'Again so soon,' Lia said softly.

In reply Dimitri drew her into his arms. Tomorrow they were leaving with his people for the southern regions. He hoped that the time away from the city would heal them both. There were too many ghosts in the city. Maybe one day they could both be free of their past. Dimitri forgot all about the long journey ahead as Lia moved onto him. For now it was just the two of them.

The End