The storm

Lightning streaked across the sky, followed closely by the rumble of thunder. A massive storm was moving through the city. Dimitri lay awake in his bed listening to the noise of the impending storm. The gusts of wind and low rumble of thunder told him this was going to be a big one. He hoped that everything outside was secure and that his people were in their homes.

Next to him in his bed lay Lia. Surprisingly the storm hadn't woken her yet. Like Dimitri she was a light sleeper. He thought that there were too many things they had in common.  The one that weighed most heavily on his mind was the shared experience of being in the General's army. They had both been children when they were taken for training. Probably both orphans too. It was in the General's army that they had fallen in love. But it was also in the army that they had learnt to kill. He knew Lia had killed on at least two occasions recently and that was what made the others so restless. If the General wanted to kill Dimitri as so many speculated he did, Lia would be the perfect weapon. She was the only woman Dimitri trusted enough to let sleep with him and the only one who could possibly get close enough to him to do it.

Sighing Dimitri sat up. All prospect of sleep was gone now. Tomorrow would be the memory search on Lia. She had acquiesced to his request without hesitation. Lia knew that knowing what had happened to allow her and Dimitri to escape from the General was crucial. But she must feel fear. The pain of a memory search was significant and these memories would be hard to access. The mind block on her was in all likelihood put there by the General for a reason and to break it may kill Lia. Dimitri also knew that Vlad was against the procedure. His protective side came into the fore in all matters concerning Lia.

The main hall was full of people as Lia walked downstairs towards the medical bed. Even though she had consented to this, it was hard not to feel terrified of the process. Apart from the pain, it was a very real exposure to have all of her secrets made so public. People in Dimitri's council could learn things about them that might be best kept hidden. Lia looked up towards the windows of the council room. She knew Dimitri would be there. Vlad too. She looked for Dimitri. As she had expected he was in front in the centre of the council. His face was expressionless but she knew him well enough to recognise the tension in his shoulders and the hands balled into fists at his side. Next to him stood Vladimir. His worried expression made his feelings very clear. She smiled a small smile at him. It's going to be alright she wanted to reassure Vlad.

At her side, a doctor moved to stop Lia. He indicated that they were ready to begin the procedure. Braving herself, Lia got onto the bed. As she prepared for the drip with the truth serum to be inserted, Lia heard a commotion at the entrance to the Great Hall. Men rushed in in a confusion of noise and voices. She sat up and noticed immediately that Vlad and Dimitri had left the council room to move down into the main hall. Their concerned expressions mirrored her own.

'There is a fire in Sergey's compound', one of the men shouted. 'They were attacked this morning. Many are dead and dying'.

Lia saw Dimitri's face. His expression was inscrutable. He held up his hand for silence.

'Prepare every warrior in this compound. We leave as soon as we can. A threat to one captain is a threat to all of us '.

Lia stood dumbly as the news sunk in.  Sergey's compound was the only home she could remember and she wondered how many people she had known were dead now. She turned to look at Dimitri and saw her shock mirrored in his face. Whether they were ready or not a war was upon them.