Bonus Chapter- Conflicted

"Man's feelings are always purest and most glowing in the hour of meeting and of farewell."  ~Jean Paul Richter

Bonus Chapter- Conflicted

Jaxon's POV

I never thought it would be that bad.  I never thought she would go crazy like that.  It was her own fucking fault.  Who the falls for someone they've only known, what, sixteen days?  She had it coming.  Now we have to go through the trouble of erasing her memory.  Who the hell told her anyway?  Claire?  Chase?  Probably Chase, that fucking asshole.  I knew I should have let him rot in the alley.  He's messed up anyway, something about him just always seemed wrong.

"Well that didn't go as planned."  Dad's voice came from behind me.

"It was a long shot to begin with."  I said.  His hand came down on my shoulder.

"You did good."  He said happily.  I felt a swell of happiness as I saw how proud he was.

"Well, she's done."  Mom came in and announced.  I turned away as my mother and father became reacquainted by swapping spit.

"Who's taking her back?"  I asked them.

"Daniel."  Dad answered.

"Is that smart?"  I asked them.  "After all he did try and rape her."  My jaw clenched as I finished the sentence, luckily my tone remained flat and my back was turned to my parents so they didn't notice.

"Why do you care?"  Liam asked as he entered the room.  "It's not like you really like her or anything."

"Who said I cared?"  I asked my brother.  "I was just asking if it was smart."

"Well, we're not really worried whether or not it's smart.  We just need her back on her doorstep by the time she wakes up."  Dad replied.

"You're the boss."  I stated throwing myself on my bed.

"You should probably go talk to the others."  Mom advised Dad.  "I'll get her in the van and make sure Daniel knows what to do."

"Right."  Dad verified.  "Come on Liam, your brother will want some rest."  Everyone left and suddenly I felt drained.

I felt empty in some strange way.  Being around the void hadn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be.  There were moments when I would find myself genuinely laughing along with her and times when she would catch me staring into her eyes that when it wasn't planned.  At first, being with her was nearly impossible.  Every time she went from human to void I would get this sick, twisting feeling in my stomach.  Eventually, I learned to make sure I wasn't around when the change occurred.

Watching her go from void to human though, that was amazing.  Like, everything in her just wakes up all at once.  I liked the way she couldn't control her anger.  In some sick and twisted way, I actually began to not care that she was a void.  Was I heartbroken that she was gone?  No.  Leaving is what she chose.  I guess she wanted to be with the mother who didn't give a fuck about her.

The twisting feeling in my stomach wouldn't go away.  I wasn't guilty.  The flashbacks of her sitting on the floor, so completely broken, kept appearing on the backs of my eyelids.  The image was seared into my brain.  Every time my heart beat it was like a small knife going deeper and deeper into it.  I could feel my jaw muscles flex instinctively.  I sat up on the bed and placed my socked feet on the ground.  Head in my hands, I stared down at the ground, gripping onto my hair and pulling it to distract from everything else I felt.

Push the emotions away.   I commanded myself mentally.  Instead they seemed to grow and burrow themselves deeper into my chest.

My jaw was flexing quickly and all I could see was the way she looked up at me.  Every smile, every blush, every teary expression was coming back to me all at once.  I stood up quickly.  The images kept coming.  I balled my hand up into a fist and sent it into a nearby wall.  The pain exploded up my arm but instead of distracting me from the other pain, it just added to it.