Ch. 14- Jealous

"If you don't like something, change it.  If you can't change it, change your attitude.  Don't complain" ~Maya Angelou

Chapter Fourteen- Jealous

August 2nd 3012, 4:30am

“One, what’s your full name?”  Jaxon asked me.

“Danielle Cade Morgans.”  I answered.

“One, what’s your full name?”  I asked him.

“Jaxon Bennett Cole.”  He answered.

“Two, why Cade?”  He asked.

“My father’s name was Wade.”  I answered.

“Two,” I started and thought for a moment, “What do you miss about the world before hiding?”

“Freedom.”  He answered vaguely.

“Three, what’s your favorite animal?”  Jaxon asked me.

I smiled at him and thought about all the animals in the world, trying to decide which my favorite was.  I let out a small hum that corresponded to the music that was flowing throughout Jaxon’s room.

“I guess tigers.”  I answered him.

“Why?”  He asked.

“That’s two questions.”  I responded.

We were playing twenty questions and the rules were simple.  He asked a question and I answered.  Then I asked a question and he answered.  It would go on until we had both asked twenty questions.  I could tell Jaxon was struggling not to ask multiple questions back to back.  He smiled at my comment.

“Okay, well then ask away.”  He said with a slight smirk.

“Three, do you like me?”  I asked.

His breathing stopped for half a second.  I was tired of tiptoeing around the question.  I just wanted to know so I could stop having internal fights with myself.  However now, I was nervous what if he didn’t like me?

“Yes, I like you.”  He answered.

“In what way?”  I asked.

“Ah, ah, ah, Danny.  That’s two questions.”  He said with a smile.  I rolled my eyes.  “Do you like me, in a serious way?”  He asked, perfecting my question.

“I guess so.”  I confessed.  “Four,” I said before he could say something smart or ask another question, “What do you mean by you miss freedom?”  He shrugged.

“I mean, I’m twenty years old.  I can’t move out, I can’t drive, I can’t do anything that twenty year olds could do ten years ago.”  He said with frustration and sadness lacing his tone.  “I guess it’s worth it though.  I’d rather have emotions and no freedom than freedom and no emotions.”  He finished with a sigh.

Suddenly I felt very out of place.  I didn’t know how to comfort him or what to say to make him feel better.  Honestly what could I say?  I pushed his leg lightly with my foot.

“It’s your turn.”  I told him.  A sad smile crept onto his face.

“Five,” He said raising an eyebrow at me. “Do you miss your mom?”  He asked, softening his eyes to reflect sincerity and true interest.