Ch. 6- Escape

"Love is never wanting to lose faith, never wanting to give up, and never truly moving on. Love is knowing and praying in the deepest part of what's left of your heart that they feel the same" ~Courtney Jo Wright

Chapter Six- Escape

July 27th 3012, 6:00am

            "Wake up."  A gentle voice pulled me from my sleep.

            I peeled my eyelids open and blinked against a blinding light.  A second later, I heard a click and the light was gone.  Bright balls of radiance remained in my line of vision for a while.  I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them to see Jaxon leaning above me.  My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as a smile lit up his face.

            "Come with me," he said, not sounding the slightest bit tired.

            His hand held out a small white pill for me.  I took it and swallowed without a second thought.  A moment later, I could feel my head tingling and my eyes growing heavy.  I was absolutely exhausted but Jaxon, on the other hand, looked as if he could run a marathon.

            "Where are we going?"  I asked, sounding groggy.

            "We're going out," he answered, taking my hand in his.

            "What do you mean?  We can't go out."  I yelled in a hushed whisper.

            I thought about the warning Daniel had given me when I first arrived.  I didn't want to get shot down by the resistance members, and something told me they wouldn't hesitate to kill me.  Plus, where could we possibly be going?  He was a human and if he was caught he would probably be killed.  There were nothing but woods for miles, or so I had been told.  I suppose Daniel could have lied to sway me from leaving but still, what could be out there?

            "Listen, I was thinking we hadn't really had any time to ourselves, so we," he said pulling me gently out of the room and into the silent hallway.  "Are going out."  We ran quickly, silently, hand in hand, through the hallway and to the only door.

            My heart was beating faster than I ever thought imaginable as he released my hand to place it against the door knob.  He raised a finger to his lips as a sign for me to be silent.  I nodded and he opened the door just slightly.  A cool breeze brushed past me and caused goose bumps to form on my exposed skin.  I smiled to myself as I saw him move the door an inch at a time to keep it from squealing.  With the door open to the point that we could both squeeze out, his hand found mine once again.

            Outside, the sun was just starting to rise.  The sky was a gorgeous orange red color and in the distance, I could hear birds chirping.  In the new lighting, Jaxon's hair held strands of red and his eyes gleamed brighter than ever.  It was as if he was being returned to the one place he belonged.  When he caught me staring at him, the loose grip he had on my hand tightened.  A genuine smile spread across his face before the playful smirk took over once again.

            "I'll race you,” he said.

            "To where?"  I asked looking out to the distance for some kind of landmark or structure.

            "The edge of the woods," he said and began stretching his legs out.  "That is unless, you're too scared."

            I raised an eyebrow as his smirk increased.

            "You're on."  I said flashing a smirk of my own.  "On three?"  I asked.

            "On go," he corrected, just for the sake of him being in control.