Prologue

Prologue

            A revolution, a country free of worry, and fear, no more hate, or insecurities, no sadness or jealousy.  You have the choice to live in a society with no emotion.  That was the promise they made almost twenty years ago.  A gene made to erase feelings.  No more depression or suicide or hurt, a better place for future generations.  A new breed of humans, a breed that is stronger, braver, better than any other form of existence known to man.

            A rebellion, because with no hate there is no love, without sadness there is no happiness.  Who would want that?  Irreversible damage inflicted by your being.  Who would choose to never feel love and passion again?  Only monsters.  A revolution that creates lifeless bodies with nothing to look forward to, forever stuck in an emotionless rut, and not being capable to realize it.  Streets full of empty shells with blank stares.

            One year later, a negotiation, a pill created by the same men who made the gene to allow you to feel emotion for precisely sixty minutes.  To be human again.  It allows you to experience all the things that you were trying to escape and for one hour you feel alive again.  One pill fixes everything that you let the gene destroy in you.

            Seven years after the pill, a woman, destroyed by her husband’s death and troubled by her five year old daughter’s night terrors, gives in to the gene.  She accepts the vacancy in her heart and rejects the pill to bring her back.  She tries forget who she once was and who her daughter never got the chance to be.

The gene is now mandatory for everyone.