Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One

I begged Elias to help me. To tell me exactly what to say to my parents and how to say it. He told me to keep the ring on, and to go home. He said the easiest way to break it to them, is to tell the hardest truth. I was going to get married, I've been eighteen for a few weeks now, I have the right to do whatever -and marry whoever- I want. 

He even hinted that I should make mention of the large fortune I was going to inherit, but I didn't think doing so was a good idea. I don't want my family to think I'm one of those sluts who marry for the money, and not for true love -even though that was exactly what I was doing.

Elias promised he'd speak to my parents as soon as he found the time, but unfortunately, he had different matters to attend to. Matters I didn't give a damn about, because I knew very well they were strictly about our wedding.

I sat on the couch, beside my mother who was crocheting and my father sat beside her, he was tapping away on his laptop, probably booking another flight out of town to work for another two weeks.

I hid the ring with my hand, my heart pounding as I felt the jewel press into my skin the tighter I held onto it.

"I'm so happy you are home, though it is only Thursday." My mother stated happily, "It's lonely here without you, Avi." My father just grunted in agreement, as all his focus was on the screen of his computer.

"I'm glad to be here too." I couldn't force myself to smile if I wanted to. I felt I were about to throw up in fear. "Mr. Parity never allows me time off. It's a great treat." There was an intensely uncomfortable silence between the three of us, though I may be the only one actually feeling uncomfortable. I cleared my throat, "Umm-So, speaking of Elias-err-Mr Parity. I have something I want to tell you guys."

"What is it, hon?"

"I'm uhh. . ." For some reason I couldn't spit out the words. It were as if they were glued to the inside of my mouth, refusing to come out. I began to feel dizzy, to sweat, and I honestly wanted to do nothing more than cry and plead for God to just make me disappear.

I mentally gave myself a pep-talk. Just say it. They can't hurt you. They wouldn't hurt you.

Their words will most definitely hurt you.

I took a deep breath, "I'mgettingmarriedtoEliasParityinthreemonthspleasedon'tdisownme."

My mother looked at me as if I were growing an extra pair of arms, "What? I didn't quite understand that."

I huffed, "I'm getting married to Elias Parity in three months." and then I proceeded to show them the expensive ring in which was gripped onto my ring finger.

That made even my father look up from what he was doing. Both of them stared at me in absolute shock before my father spoke up, "You're joking."

"Dad, I'm not joking."

"Please tell us you're joking." Begged my poor mother.

"No, mom. I'm not joking."

"Are you out of your mind?"

"I love him."

"He's a freak."

"I'm a freak."

"Are you really not joking?"

"I'm not joking you guys!"

My father slammed his laptop shut, as my mother was now gripping my hand, staring at the ring in horror.

"This is a really bad joke, Avril, stop lying this instant!" I could see the dreaded concern my father held on his face, as he stared me up and down, mentally pleading with me. His eyes were basically screaming, "Please just let this be a joke."

I knew they both knew I was speaking the truth.

"Dad," My voice was calm, I knew if I rose it, I'd probably start to cry like a baby, "you know I wouldn't lie to you."

My mother began to sob uncontrollably, which of course, made me feel ten times more guilty. "You are only eighteen years old, you're too young."

"I'm old enough to do what I want with my life, mom." I said the next words before even thinking about them, "I love Elias more than any man I've ever met. He loves me too, and he'll take care of me, I know he will." Will he really, though?

Both my parents were dead silent. This moment was the moment I dreaded the most. The moment where my parents have to come to terms with the fact that they can't stop me. The fact that they had to accept they were going to lose me to Parity Cemetery just as they did with Amanda, just under certain circumstances that I couldn't quite find much difference to.

I sat in silence as I watched my parents both descend into multiple argument with one another, blaming each other for how they raised me. My mother was crying, my father's face was red with rage, fury, I wasn't even sure the million emotions they both could possibly be feeling right now.

I had no words to say.

The entire night consisted of both my parents trying to talk me out of the marriage. When I refused numerous times, eventually their pleading became harsh, and they started threatening.

"I don't give a damn if you're fifty years old, I will not let you marry that freak." Shouted my father.

"We will send you away if we have too, you're still in high school." Threatened my mother.

"You're ruining your life! We will not let you proceed!"

"How could you fall in love with a man like him? He's a psychopath!"

"I will bring the court into this if I have to." -Pretty sure the court would take my side, actually.

"If you marry him, you might as well forget about ever showing your face here again."

"Has he touched you already? Is that why you're doing this? Are you pregnant, Avril? If so, we can adopt the baby, it's okay, you don't have to do this."

"I'm not pregnant, dad!" This was hopeless. I walked over to the front door, "Until you two can get yourselves together, I will agree to your terms, and I won't show my face here again. I'm going to marry Elias Parity, so you might as well learn to accept it now."

I walked out of the house, slamming the door shut behind me. My parents didn't follow me. I took multiple deep breaths, calming my intense anxiety. My parents took it worse than I ever could have imagined. I had used them kicking me out of the house as an excuse to not get married to Elias, but I never actually thought they'd really kick me out.

The worst part about all of this, is that it's too late to go back now.

I pulled my cellphone out, and began to shuffle through my contacts. I clicked on Maggie's number without thinking, and called her.

"You know it's like, ten at night right?" She answered, her voice groggy, as if I had just woken her up from a deep sleep.

"Maggie?" I said, not realizing how badly I needed to cry until I spoke up, "I need you to take me to the cemetery. Now."