Chapter Two

Chapter Two

The funeral was a joke. There was no pastor, no flowers, in fact, Mr. Parity hosted it all. He spoke lightly about how short life was, and then made us each take time to say something about Amanda. 

Then he, and his little servants, who were really a bunch of pretty girls wearing maid uniforms, threw gold chains around Amanda's casket, and began to bury her. For all the money my parents put in for my sister to be buried here, the only thing they got from it was a rich atmosphere. Nothing more.

My parents and everyone else were led back into the large castle-like building, where they were greeted with more desserts than I have ever seen together. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as they could despite the occasion. I, on the other hand, didn't feel like being patronized by family members and people I didn't even know, or having a long line of people saying they were sorry to me, even though it wasn't their fault my sister had died. I decided to go back to her grave, and talk to her for a bit. A long, over-due talk.

I got on my knees in the grass, and forced myself to smile at her charming gravestone. It was marble, with real gold edges. There was a tiny quote engraved on the bottom of it, saying  "Long live the beautiful and free." 

I shook my head at the saying, it was something she would have absolutely loved. She loved corny sayings like that one, I only found it to be misleading.

I began to go through the words that I wanted to say in my head. I didn't want to seem like I hadn't thought about what to say, not that she would really be able to listen.  As I was thinking, I noticed some crystals in the dirt that buried her. I nearly laughed. 

Mr. Parity really goes all out when it comes to funerals.

If I weren't mourning, I'd question him. He didn't seem to just like the cemetery, he thoroughly enjoyed the process of burying dead people. It was all so bizarre.

"Lovely, isn't it?" I heard a deep voice behind me, making me jump. I glanced over to see the freak himself.

I suddenly felt very vulnerable. Him and me alone together? A man in a mask, against me, a sixteen year old girl with no athletic capabilities?

"Yes." I said, as I quickly stood up, "I admit, it looks nice."

"Nice? Is that all you can say to the dead?"

"Beautiful. It looks beautiful, is that better?"

He smiled, "Very much so." I hadn't been this close to him before, the mask on his face seemed more clear. It wasn't just white, it also had a bit of dirt on the sides, it was placed on there almost too perfectly something told me the dirt was purposely put on it. He seemed too much of a neat freak to wear a mask covered in dirt. It looked like some sort of symbol, in fact, his whole costume did.

"Why are you out here?" I asked as I backed away a bit, "All of your guests are inside."

"Well, you're my guest too, Avril. I can't just leave you alone in your sorrow. I'm sure you'll get enough of that when you're at home."

"That's kind of you, but personally, I don't know you. I don't think a man in a mask will make me feel better that my sister is gone."

"I'm not here to make you feel better. My name is Mr. Parity, it's my job to divide one's sorrow, and feel it with them, not make them feel better." He held his arm out, just as he had done earlier with my mother. He expected me to take it, "Please, allow me to escort you back inside." He looked up at the sky, "I fear a storm is coming, and I wouldn't want you to ruin that darling dress of yours."

I glanced down at the short black dress I was wearing, it was actually Amanda's old prom dress. I had cut it up last night to make it fit the occasion.