Chapter Twenty Seven

I really hate houseflies

of all creatures God had to make; flies are the worst

Me being the second  

Chapter Twenty Seven *

"And that's about everything." I said as I took a final sigh of sheer relief that I got everything I've been bottling up in my head, out. I had to tell someone, and what better person to tell it to than Maggie?

She sat there, mouth full of a large bite she took from a hamburger, she just stared at me in utter awe.

Awkwardly, I looked away, unable to see the hideous sight of her chewing with her mouth open. She never had any manners.

It has been quite some time since we had last seen each other. With me busy with Mr. Parity, and the cemetery, there were some days I didn't even bother to attend school. My grades were suffering, but then again, they always have.

Finally, she managed to swallow, thought she choked a bit whilst doing so, and I had to punch her back a few times.

"Damn, well, I don't even know what to say, Avi." She snorted, "You get yourself locked into the most troublesome situations. But of all things, why the hell did you agree to be his wife?"

"Pretend wife." I corrected her, knowing full well how important that one word is. "Besides, did you not hear what I said? He offered to pay off Amanda's funeral expenses and a whole ten grand extra. How could I pass that up, especially when my parents are working day to night every day trying to pay the bills. We need the money."

"But your pride." 

"My pride isn't worth financial debt, Maggie."

She shrugged her shoulders and took another bite of the hamburger that was dripping grease onto my bed. "Whatever." She spoke, mouth full of food, "I wouldn't have done it unless he got on his bony knees and kissed my feet."

I laughed, "Good luck getting him to do that."

She rolled her eyes, and licked mustard off the side of her hand. I cringed just watching her. Usually, it didn't bother me, but today, I really wanted to slap her in the face.

Just eat normally for God's sake.

"I'm surprised at you." She spoke again, "You've been working for that creep a few months now. You haven't changed at all. You'd think a prosperous, wealthy environment like that one would spoil you, maybe even slightly." She nudged my shoulder with her fat elbow that didn't really even look like an elbow at all. "At least if you play Mrs. Parity, you'll have all the money a woman could ask for. You'll share, right?"

I stared at her for a long moment. I guess that was the reasoning for my attitude lately. I've been so used to the high maintenance wonderland, that I had nearly forgotten my place in reality. 

I lived here. In a two story house with a leaking roof, moldy basement, and weed-infested garden. There were no maids, no diamonds lying around. No chandeliers, and absolutely no madmen named Parity.

What an absolute idiot I have been to forget all that. 

I took a deep breath, "Wow, Maggie." I said, giving her the most apologetic look I could muster, "I'm really sorry."

She blinked at me, "For what?"

"I'm a jerk. I've been acting like a total snob to you." I leaned back on my bed in frustration, as I kicked the air. "I think you're wrong. Parity Cemetery has gotten to me, but I don't think it changed me, it just sought out the inner brat I always have been."