Chapter Three

Chapter Three

At last, the funeral was over for good. My family thanked Mr. Parity, and said their goodbyes. I, on the other hand kept myself as far away from him as possible.

I think he knew what I was doing, though he would constantly glance at me every time I came into his eye-sight, he didn't go near me.

Me and my parents waited until everyone else that attended the funeral had left before leaving ourselves. As we all got into the car, and my father turned the engine on, I watched Mr. Parity and twelve of his assistants who were crowded around him, wave at us. None of the girls looked happy, even he looked a bit bothered, but still, a smile was on his face.

Even if it was fake.

I stared straight into his eyes, as he was doing the same to me. I've understood that there was something about me that he either liked, or hated. Something that bothered him, though I wasn't sure what that was.

We left the cemetery in a hurry, as if my parents wanted to leave and never come back. I, on the other hand felt as if I was leaving a part of me there, not just my sister, more like unfinished business.

I only wondered what that 'business' could be, as the only thing that came to my head was the talk I should of had with my sisters grave, yet, I was certain that wasn't the case.

We made it home as the sun was now deserting the sky for the night. My father pulled the car into the driveway, and shut the engine off.

None of us moved or made a sound.

The silence, and darkness of the car was enough to drive anyone mad, and yet, we allowed ourselves to be surrounded by misery.

I slowly began to tap my foot against the car's carpeting, just to fill the silence with a bit of noise. It's weird how true the saying is, that silence kills the one who lets it in. It's painful, it hurts, and it really forces you to reflect on your life.

I hated it.

"Mom? Dad?" I broke the tension, and at that moment, my mother burst into tears. My father wrapped his arms around her, and began to cry as well.

"Stop crying." I said softly, as I tried to think of something actually smart to say, something that might even help soothe their mental pain. "I'm still here." I tried to sound happy, "I'm still here and I'm not leaving. Not like her."

My father turned around, giving me a dark glare, "Don't speak such idiocy, Avril. You clearly don't understand the loss of your own child."

I stared at him, feeling sick at the words he just said, "I just lost my sister, of course I understand." 

"Don't be so hard on her, David." My mother said in between sobs, "Avril darling, you don't need to be around to see us act like this. Go on in the house and get some sleep."

I shook my head, "You're crazy, I'm not going to leave you."

"Just go, please." She said as she hid her face, clearly ashamed she couldn't control herself.

I stared at her, and then at my father. He wouldn't look at either of us. Tears dropping down his face, I just wanted to comfort them, but I didn't.

I opened the car door, and hopped out. Walking up to my front door, I was greeted by my cat, Mars, who was sitting on the porch waiting for us to return. Mars wasn't like most cats, he actually wasn't a complete demon spawn from hell.

He was nice.

He loved me.

He was my best friend.

"Hey, Mars." I said as I bent down and picked him up. He instantly began to purr as he wiped his head against my shirt. I had named him Mars because of his color, he was so orange, he almost looked red, not to mention he was fat, and round like a planet.

"Let's go in." I whispered into his pointed ear, as I opened the front door. I walked into the house and went straight up to my room where I sat him down on my bed, and changed into the most comfortable clothes I could find. 

Something was missing.

Something was very very wrong.

I stood in the middle of my room, only to realize that the sound of nothing was everywhere. It was the unbearable silence that followed me from the car.

Disgusted, angry, and depressed, I stomped over to my sister's room, as if nothing had ever changed; and turned on her stereo. Titanic Sinclair, her most favorite artist whom I had previously hated, as I thought of him as nothing but a loser junkie, I now enjoyed every word, every note, and every instrument in the song.

It was my new found peace.

I laid onto her bed, staring up at her purple ceiling, I realized that I was never going to see my beautiful and annoying sister every again.

She was never going to scold me about all the junk food that I would consume, she was never going to yell at me and tell me my music taste was garbage, never again was I going to be chided as I would go around in her top brand clothing.

I looked over at the bunny rabbit in the corner of her room. Her name was Poppy, and she was never going to see her beloved owner ever again.

Minutes turned into hours, and I, without even realizing it, was crying. Tear by tear, my face became a mess. It started as a slow cry, and soon enough, I was sobbing my eyes out.

I laid in her bed, with her favorite albums on one side of me, and her favorite outfits on the other. I clutched onto her pillow and buried my head in it for the rest of the night.

My darling Mars, sat by my feet, as if he understood my sorrow, for he loved Amanda as well.

We both were never going to see her again.