When the End Happened

I've got to get back and stop Johnny. Not wasting anytime, I run my dagger along my left hand, cutting only slightly in.

Pan doesn't come.

He's probably still using magic on the boys. At least Max will be able to run from whatever Johnny has planned.

That's when I take off, sprinting back to camp, following the stream until I know where I am again. I need to get to our campsite, and figure out Dominique's plan, and how Johnny got himself in this mess.

I knew he was part of the conspiracy, but was this what they were doing? Was this their goal? Johnny must've been the inside man. He killed the guard, knocked Felix out, and freed the boys from their cages. Spied on us too I bet.

When I'm back at camp, my stomach hurts and the sun is buried so deep into the horizon I wouldn't be surprised if it started to rise. I burst into our tent, and Johnny's not there. I find my way to the table, filling myself with food.

I did run back here, and I guess Johnny walked. At least he won't be able to avoid me when he arrives.

My stomach slowly fills, until I feel I might burst at the seams. I can't wait to be back home, and eat something warm, and normal for once. I've missed meals so very much. Almost as much as I miss actual showers. Even if I manage to hose myself off at least once every two days, I miss the way warm water runs across my shoulders, and the smell of my watermelon shampoo.

Don't even get me starting on brushing my teeth. I don't ever seem to have bad breath or anything in them, which I can only contribute to magic. Still, I want a toothbrush.

And flush toilets. I shudder at the thought.

I stop reminiscing on the good old days of hygiene when Johnny struts into the clearing.

Using his own tricks against him, I wait until he's almost at our tent before I grab him from behind, and attempt to drag him into the forest.

Attempt.

He flips me over without a second thought, and the harsh impact on the ground echoes through my body.

When he realises his mistake, he helps me up. "Sorry."

I mutter under my breath, before snatching him by the collar of his shirt and dragging him off the campsite.

"You're working with Dominique?" I'm furious, throwing him out of my grip.

His face goes pale, as his eyes widen. His brow contorts, and he looks down at the ground. "I was, but not anymore. Not after he was going to have you killed."

"Oh, that explains why I saw you both together earlier today." I nearly shout. "Conspiring to do whatever it was-"

He clamps a hand over my mouth. "Don't throw this back on me. I was trying to get information about his plan. He's going to come in here and kill as many boys as he can."

He can't. "When?" I demand, ripping his hand off my mouth.

"That's what I was trying to figure out." He scowls.

Alright, so as much as Johnny disgusts me as a person, we seem to have both grown in the same ways. Both irrational, foolish killers who are trying are best.

The only difference being that I clearly have the moral high ground. He's scum, but who isn't these days?

"Figure it out." I instruct, shoving past him.

"Where are you going?" He demands. "He could strike within the week."

"Well tomorrow is my last day, so that sounds like a you problem." I shout over my shoulder. "I don't exist just to clean up your messes. I'm a girl, not a maid."

It's been a long day, that which is nearly my final. If I'm going to manage to say good-bye to everyone, and win the bet tomorrow, I'm going to need a good night's sleep.

As I turn into my tent, I notice Harry hurrying towards me. "Charlie, can we talk for a minute?"

I shrug my shoulders. "Why?"

"Listen, I think it was very good of you to help Keaton." Harry tells me, honestly. His face is soft, but ashamed. "Even if you hate the kid."

"You didn't seem to help me all that much earlier." I counter.

Harry sighs. "You've got to put yourself in my shoes. He killed Jared, who's been my friend for eight years, and apparently he killed their old friend, Rufio. Would you be forgiving if they had killed Max, or Thomas? Lyle's blood is on his hands too."

I guess he's right. "I'm not mad about it, at least not anymore. How's everyone been?"

"No one is better except Keaton if that's what you are asking." He tells me. "Not even after Pan used magic. I just hope he wakes up."

"I do too." I put my hand on his shoulder for reassurance. I don't need to hear him say the name to know he is talking about his brother. How unfair to be reunited with someone and never exchange more than a few words with them.

Laughter erupts behind us as Gregory tackles a boy to the ground, mock fighting amongst each other. Keaton stands over his shoulder, watching. I guess they are back at their antics again; I don't know why I thought maybe Keaton had changed. Obviously it takes more than death brushing up against your skin to cause you to reform.

Devin and Alex stand together scowling. It's odd seeing the two so much as talk together, but somehow it's relaxing. Two of the only old people left, separated by the death of a friend, then brought back together by the death of another.

Even though Max and Thomas aren't cured, everyone here seems to be alright. The storm is over, and it all feels complete. This is what I wanted it to feel like before I went back home. A warm, safe autumn afternoon, filled with boys playing together in the forest. The sun buried deep in the sky, but somehow the day roars on in the lost boys.

We are all full of life.

I can't shake the feeling something awful is rounding the corner.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the final chapter before the finale. This all went by so quickly, its crazy! I'm excited for the three part conclusion to this book. I won't be releasing the first part until Monday, but then part two will go out Tuesday and part three Wednesday. So, it'll be over quickly.

Do you have any questions for me? Ask me anything about the characters, their relationships, the plot. If I get enough questions I'll post a chapter where I answer them between now in the finale.

If not, that's alright. As always, think happy thoughts, and I'll see you Monday.