When a Stalking Happened

6

    I didn't expect myself to be able to fall asleep on someone else's death bed, but the cot was not as uncomfortable as I had assumed it would be. It slipped my mind for a second that this cot was the one which Steven had died on, and that second was all it took to let me slip in to sleep.

    Thankfully, the night was silent. Sure, Thomas vomited all over himself in his sleep, and I had to be the one to clean it up, but the sun was beginning to rise and nothing could get me down.

    Especially not Steven's funeral, since that was postponed until the illness is contained and cured. Causing mass panic is frowned upon, even if it is in attempts to make everyone safer.

    What has false security done for anyone? Absolutely nothing.

    I step out of the tent, quickly grabbing food and heading back in the tent. I take a swig of from my canteen as I eat, watching over the others around me.

    It only takes me a few seconds to dump what's left on my plate on the ground, but in the time between the compost and the med tent, Thomas has woken up.

    He sits up on his cot, staring at me. I quickly put the mask on and head over next to him.

    "How're you feeling?" I ask.

    He shrugs, holding his head.

    "Apparently you get one good day and then it's back to how you felt before." I tell him. "It's probably your good day now then."

    He lies back down. Thankfully I don't have to tell him he's not allowed to leave. I run back to the table, carrying a tray that medical equipment is normally put on. I grab three plates, filling them up with food, then bring them back in the tent. Thomas walks up to me and takes one, so I drop the rest on the desk.

    I grab a cup, filling it from water in the bucket in the corner. Robert's rules; only the sick can drink from it. I guess it makes sense.

    Now all there is to do is wait until Max and Robert wake up, then give them their food. Tends to be how it goes; you feed and you water the sick, then they go back to sleep.

    Which is why I surmise this day will be extremely dull.

    So I am shocked when I watch Pan appear inside the tent.

    "What are you doing here?" I whisper.

    He points to the ground, where an empty cot appears. "I wouldn't be here if I didn't have to be."

    As he steps out I follow him. Thomas can help Robert and Max if they wake up. I'm merely a formality. I shed the mask, as I grab hold of his wrist. He spins around, and I quickly drop his hand.

    "There's another sick person?" I ask.

    "Why yes indeed. What gave it away?"

    "No need to be so sarcastic." I tell him.

    He disappears, leaving me in his wake. I begrudgingly walk back into the tent, only to see Pan already inside it. He cocks an eyebrow before disappearing again, leaving behind a very ill James in the bed.

    I sigh, moving next to the bed. James looks at me and I reach backwards handing him a bucket. He vomits into it, coughing harshly.

    After one night with them I can already tell when people are seconds from vomiting, just fantastic.

    I look up, hearing Max's shuffling in his sheets. He's awake now too, no thanks to James's loud retching. Getting up, I grab his plate then bring it to him. He mutters a quiet 'thank you' before biting into his food.