One

"Mum! I'm heading to school..." I called from downstairs. My sister had already went outside, and she was waiting so we could ride together.

"Be back soon, dear.." Mum said. "Your curfew i-"

"I know, Mum.. I'll be home.." I walked out and joined Poppy.

"Was she reminding you of your curfew again?" She teased. "We have that party in London after school.. I have the details, and it's supposed to be full of the most popular students.. We have to go."

"I know.. But I told Mum I'd be home.." I sighed. "What would she say if I missed curfew?"

"I've missed curfew dozens of times, Alf. Dozens of times..." Poppy parked the car, and we walked into the school. "We have no choice. It's either go.... or continue being hated and manipulated.."

"I'm only a freshman. You can get me into parties when you're a senior.. But until then, I'm just your freshman brother," I said.

"Suit yourself.. I'm still going.." Poppy shut her locker and walked to her first class to meet up with her friends.

/

"Shit.." The bell was about to ring, and I dropped my books. "What a Monday..." As I knelt down to gather my belongings, a foot pressed against my homework from the past week.

"Aw, poor Alfie.. Are you having trouble?" A voice said.

"Yeah, I am.." I said, but soon realized it was not a friendly face. Marcus... He picked me up by my hair and threw me against the lockers. Marcus was a year older than me, but he was constantly hitting on my sister. I would intervene, although Poppy told me not to speak... and Marcus didn't approve of my attitude.

"See ya around, Deyes.." He walked off, laughing. I laid there by my locker, curled up, sobbing as the bell sounded. No one came outside of a class to see what the noise was, and no one cared to find me.

"Alfie!" Poppy was in the corridors, looking for me. I tried to call out, but I was too terrified. "Alfie... Who did this?" She ran to me.

"Ma-Marc-us.." I coughed. "I'm fine..."

"You're having trouble breathing.. You're not fine.." She checked my pulse.

"I'm fine, Pops..." I repeated. "If I let this get to m-e, he will nev-er stop."

"I'll take you home..." She rubbed my forehead.

"No.."

"Alfie, at least let me take to the nurse.." She helped me stand, and I complied. "I told the teacher I was going to find you.. He knows you're never tardy.. so he was also worried."

/

"Hello Miss Rey.." Poppy said.

"Hello dear.. Oh, Alfie.. what happened?" She helped Poppy lay me down.

"He didn't want to make any fuss, but I wasn't going to be a bystander... Alfie has some problems with a sophomore called Marcus.." Poppy said. "He picks on Alfie since he can't get to me.."

"What do you mean, get to you?"

"Marcus has been hitting on me for about a year, and since Alfie is now in the same school, he wants to be the protective brother.." She smiled. "But it gets to be a bit much."

"Well, I will ca-" The nurse stood to pick up the phone.

"No!" I said. "Don't call Mum..."

"Alfie, she needs to know.." Poppy pushed the hair back from my forehead. "I'll stay home with you instead of the party.."