Saving Marzia?

Chapter 31

POV: Felix

I pushed open the door of the SUV and stepped into the snow that came almost half way between my ankle and knee, Emma followed my lead and continued to argue with me about her version of helping. "You are not going!" I yelled at her for the first time. She timidly stepped back and look down at the snow. I sighed, "I-I didn't... Look," I put my hand on her shoulder; she nudged it off. "Its to dangerous. I'm trying to keep you out of as much of this as possible...I don't want to loss anyone else, here." I paused, waiting for a response that never came. "Just stay here with George and watch Lily. That's A LOT of help."

"Well, I don't want you in danger either..." she mumbled. "So, if I can't go you have to promise you'll come back in one piece and you won't mess up your stitches."

"I'll make that my goal." I smiled a bit.

"You promise?"

"I promise."

"Felix, you ready?" Ryan asked from the back of the SUV as he rummaged for supplies.

I tilted my head towards him and said, "One second." before turning back to see Emma with her fist out.

"Bro fist?" she shyly asked.

I smiled a goofy smile and said, "BroFist!" in an even more goofy voice as I did so.

I told her not to let George or Lily leave the car and to no open the doors for anyone she don't know. She looked at me like she was insulted I had to tell her this but I continued anyways. After I was done ranting about safety stuff, I closed the car door and went over to Ryan. He handed me a large gun, strapping his around his shoulder. I did the same as we walked away from the car.

"This look casual?" I asked, holding the gap between the buttons of my army uniform to keep my arm up.

"Well it's the only way you can keep your arm elevated without looking to weird but, no. Not casual. You look like you're going to a 1920's gathering."

I sighed and looked towards the large wire gates. I could hear the sounds of snow plows scrapping concert in the distance and. Thanks to the fact that it stopped snowing, I could see multiple buildings all around inside the gates

"I can see some people walking around." Ryan pointed out someone in the distance. They walked slowly to the right of the base so, we walked to the left, following the fence.

We worked our way around the fence until we came upon some fencing that either was torn or worn away. We quickly stealthed over to it and Ryan began to dig away the snow. I tried to help but that didn't work out to well.

"Can you crawl under that?" Ryan asked.

"I'll be fine." I hoped.

I slid my gun on my back and crawled under, pain flowing through me with each movement. I stood up and grunted in pain.

"You okay, man?"

"Yep. A-okay." I lied as Ryan quickly slid under the fence and hopped up. "Show off."

He chuckled and patted my shoulder. "So, we are clear that I know zero Swedish, right?"

"Don't worry about, I-" gun shots went off somewhere close by. We ran over to the closest building and took cover, which was easier since the snow was plowed away. More gun shots went off and screams followed with the familiar scent of rotten flesh. "New plan: shot first ask questions later."

Ryan nodded, "Agreed." We, then, ran over to one of the many grey buildings. "Building twenty-five." Ryan mumbled the numbers painted in white far above the door.