Chapter 2: Wasted Chance

"I don't know what happened to that witch! But I'm happy that your position is back!" Ashley Oulsand cheered at the top of her lungs after being with Nellie for few minutes. She arrived late this morning and everyone already had a moment of celebration. It was so late for her to push the boat. My classmates and I only chuckled at her late reaction.

"Your display of merriment for me is appreciated, Ash. But what happened to your brown curled hair? Wala bang suklay sa inyo o pinagkakaitan mo na naman ang buhok mo ng aruga?" Our 'new' president who had a short red hair winced, pointing her disheveled hair. Her short friend who had a petite body like her only pouted as she combed her hair with her little fingers.

"You don't know what kind of adventure I faced this morning, Nellie. Mabuti nga at nakaabot pa ako sa second subject natin!" Taliwas ang lumalabas na salita sa kanyang makurba at malarosas na labi sa kanyang walang saplot na pangamba sa mukha. Huwag niyang sabihin sa akin na biktima siya ng traffic dahil malapit lang naman ang apartment niya rito sa school.

"But you still missed the important event of the day," she said, pertaining to the scene during our first subject when Sir Victor Valderama announced that Meagan gave up her position and declared Nellie as our new class president. "though I'm still wondering why she would do that. The last time we talked, she was very determined to lead the class. She even told me that I have nothing to worry about since she has many plans. She isn't someone who will use her power unless it is important."

Her visage was visibly showing her astonishment from the sudden declaration. Ashley only raised her brows and uttered, "Isn't it obvious, Nellie? Maybe she realized that she is very incompetent leader. Ilang linggo na simula ng puwersahan niyang niluklok ang sarili pero wala pa siyang tamang nagagawa. We only got enemies because of her."

It reminded me of one of my main reasons why I didn't like her. It because Maegan looked like she was waging war against other strands. After getting Nellie's position by force this second semester, she ran in the Senior Federated Organization and won as the Executive Chairman. Someone was not allowed to join any big organization here unless he was one of the big three of the class. The student should be the president, vice president or secretary in order for him to be qualified.

She convinced our strand's adviser, Sir Valderama, to reelect our class officers which he approved. That was the moment they impeached Nellie from the presidential position. Recently, she was using her power to push some mundane projects for senior high school students and lot more. All I wanted was to exclude our class from her madness. At least, we had Nellie to stand for us. Now, I didn't know how would the student bodies handle the situation.

"I just found it weird, Ash. She is not someone who will let go of something she got by force." 'Yan pala ang iniisip niya kung kaya't kanina pa siya tahimik. She was happy at first, but she became silent later on. I noticed how many times she surveyed the gymnasium, like she was looking for someone.

"Why you sounded like you know her? You are not even close."  Her words silenced her and knocked my curiosity. Ashley was right, why she was acting so weird. She should be happy, right? I returned her position so she could lead again.

It was Monday at nandito kami ngayon sa gymnasium for our Physical Education class. On the other side of the gymnasium, we could spot the cheerleaders having a morning practice. Himala nga't wala rito ang mga hambog na varsity players e.

Watching my girl classmates wearing our prescribed P.E uniform made me feel uncomfortable. Mas malala pa ito sa suot ng mga nag-eensayong mga cheerleaders. Asul ang kulay ng kanilang short na may nakalagay na senior sa kaliwang gilid, jersy naman sa lalaki. It was designed vertically and it was highlighted. Asul ang kulay ng manggas ng v-neck na pantaas ng seniors. Makikita ang logo ng paaralan sa kaliwang parte ng dibdib ng damit at naka-print ang kanya-kanyang apelyido sa likod ng shirt.