Who Ever Said Life Was Easy? [Chapter 13]

Ch.13

"Wait. What? Really?" I asked shocked. I mean, I thought DJ was just being nice becuase he felt sorry for me, not actually because he liked me.

"Yes really. Just say yes. Please?' DJ started to look more nervous. Probably afraid I was going to say no.

"Yes!" I almost shrieked with excitment.

"So I'll pick you up around 7?" He looked extreemly happy now.

"Sure. Just don't get lost on the way. I mean I'm staying pretty far away from you." I tried to say seriously, but ended up ruining it last minute by laughing.

He started laughing too, "I'll try. Come on, we better get going." He grabbed my hand and pulled me inside the court house.

Our court room was pretty small. Only a few rows of benches along with two tables up front. Then a place for the judge to sit, and a place for the jury.

[http://patdollard.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/courtroom.jpg

A/N: i know that you guys cant copy/paste links anymore cuase wattpad changed taht, but if you really want to see what the courtroom looks like; there ya go]

Kevin sat at one of the tables with a lawyer. Where the hell they found someone to be his lawyer, I don't know, but they did.

At the other table their was a guy who looked to be in his late 30s. He had blondhair with a reddish tint to it along with hazel eyes. He was also dressed in a nice suit.

I walked up to him, "Um, hi, I'm Ariel."

"I know who you are. I'm your lawyer for today." He gave a small smile, but then his face turned to buisness. "Normally we would have met before this, but I'm positive he wont be walking away free today."

I just nodded.

"Oh, I'm Lance by the way." His eyes brushed over my broken arm. "What happened there?"

"Well seeing as we're here about my abusive step father, do you really have to ask?" I said drly.

Anger flashed through his eyes. "I'm sorry. You're right."

Just then the judge banged [a/n:? that doesn't sound like a word o.o] his gavel [a/n: that hammer thing that judges use] and called order to the room. "Alright, Ms. Bennett would you please come sit up here and tell your side of the story. [a/n: one, sorry bout all my author notes this chapter :/ lol two: bennett is ariel's lastname,and three: sorry if this sounds not so... courtish? lol never been to court or watched any of those court shows, so making this up as i go along. k, im done for the rest of the story]

I walked up and took my seat next to the judge. "Um. I don't know. Where do you want me to start?"

"Well, is Mr. Brown here, your step father?" The judge asked.

"Yes. He married my mom a few years ago. I never knew my real father." I started to tell my story. "So I had been excited to hear that my mom would be getting married, especially sience she had started to drink and do drugs. I figured that a new husband would get her out of all that stuff. But, yeah, as you can see, I was wrong. He just kind of ignored me for a few months, but that all changed. He would slap me around here and there. As time progressed he got more violent. He would punch me and kick me. I've had a few broken bones, but nothing to serious." I paused and looked down at my now broken arm. "Well, until recently I guess."

The judge interrupted me, "Is that from Mr. Brown?"

"Y-yeah." I stuttered. "He... I came home from school one day and he was there waiting for me. He had a baseball bat." I felt tears start to invade my vision. No! I could not let him see how much he has affected me. I brushed my eyes quickly hoping that no one noticed.

I heard a few gasps. I looked up and noticed that they came from Lance, Kevin's lawyer,and the judge.

"And where have you been staying recently?" The judge asked.

"With my friend DJ and his mom." Just the thought of DJ reminded me out earlier and how he had asked me out. I smiled a little.

The judge made a "mhmm" noise. "Alright, you may go sit back over there." He nodded towards the table where Lance was.

I got up and sat down.

"Alright Mr. Brown, your turn. Do you plead guilty not guilty?"

"Well it depends what you mean by that. If you mean guilty as in "did I do those things?" then yes. But if your asking whether or not it was wrong, then I plead not guilty."

"That will be a guilty then." The judge said. He banged his gavel on his desk. "You Mr. Brown and sentenced to 15 years in prison. Court dismissed."

Well why couldn't the judge ask him if he was guilty or not before I had to spill my guts? Jesus...

"Congradulations." Lance said.

He looked like he was going to say something else, but DJ came and picked me up twirling me around. "It's over! You're free."

I laughed. I think he was more excited about this than I was. And trust me. I was excited. It felt like 1000 pounds had been lifted off my shoulders.

"Oh, one more thing Ms. Bennett." The judge said.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"We'll need to arrange where you'll stay now. You certinly can't go back to your mother. Actually she should be here today along with Mr. Brown, but she left town by the looks of it."

"What! She just left?" I asked bewildered. My mom just got up and left? Thanks mom... Love you too....

"Yeah. I'm sorry, I thought you knew." The judge said apologeticly.

"She can keep staying with us." DJ's mom interrupted.

"Are you sure? You'll need to fill out adoption papers and everything." The judge said.

"Of course. Anything." She smiled and I ran up to her and gave her a hug.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I said.

"No problem hun. You're like family now, I couldn't imagine it any other way."

DJ came over and joined our hug. I laughed and pulled away.

"Thanks a lot." I said to Lance.

"Well, I didn't really do anything. I think this was one of my easiest cases." He laughed.

"EIther way, thanks still."

"No problem. Um. Ariel... Do you think we can have dinner tonight? I have something I want to discuss with you." He said.

"Oh. I would, but I'm busy tonight."

"Yeah, she's going on a date with me." DJ said slinging his arm around my shoulder with a big smile.

I laughed. I was doing that a lot today.

"Alright, well tomorrow night then?" Lance tried.

"Sure." I shrugged. I wonder what he wanted to talk to me about. Probably some final details about the Kevin stuff.

"Come on. It's getting late, and you have to get ready." DJ stuck his tounge out at me.

I mocked hurt. "What? You don't think I'm pretty enough as I am right now?"

"Well, no I do, but I figured you'd want to change and clean up before we went out." He replied nervously.

"Haha, I know. I was messing with out. Gosh."

"I'll call you tomorrow with the details then." Lance said.

"Okay, see you tomorrow." I waved and walked out of the courtroom, to go to my new official home.

*********************************************

okay guys! what do you think?

and dont think the story is over by any chance! there is a lot more to come! shockers around every corner ;)

i got some tricks up my sleeve so watch out :P

where do you think DJ will take Ariel on their date?

comment/vote/fan! (: