Chapter Five

I passed out into a dreamless sleep until the next morning. My alarm clock woke me up at six on dot. Groaning, I turned off my alarm and lazily stretched my sore body. Even though sore in lots of places, I still felt happy inside. Turning to my right side, I smiled, hoping to see Evan’s smiling at me like he usually does. What I found, they were not his eyes. They were someone else’s. I cried out in surprise and scrambled up into a sitting position, covering my naked body with my bed cover.

“How the hell did you get in here?!” I shrieked.

David Carson was laying down on the bed beside me. His blue eyes more electrifying than ever. He was still in the same clothes as yesterday. I began to wonder if he actually stayed at the park.

“Look, if you can just get to your store right away, and ship that gown to where you bought it, I swear I will never bother you again,” he said grimly. His arms crosses across his chest, his jaw set in a tight line, making his face features even more defined.

“I asked you a question and you never did answer. So why the hell do I need to start listening to you now?” I hissed.

He abruptly sat up on the bed and faced me.

“Do you think I had pleasure seeing you shrieking like a banshee last night with that moron you call your love?” he scoffed. I looked at him in utter horror. “You know nothing of what’s going on in his head.”

“And I suppose you do?” I countered back, moving even farther away from him.

Just when David was about to reply, the door of the bathroom clicked and he instantly vanished. A minute later strode in Evan, his body completely naked except for a blue towel hanging from his torso. He walked over to me with a smile. His wet hair confirmed me he had gone to take a shower before I woke up.

“Hey,” he whispered in my ear, kissing my neck. I shivered. “Who were you talking to?”

I gave him a small smile.

“No one really,” I answered, tracing my fingers on his chest. “Someone who’s a bit nosy and inconsiderate. No one you know. So how was your shower?”

I must be a fool to ask him how his shower was. Mentally, I did a face palm.

“It was great because last night was great,” Evan’s smile was genuine when he said those words. He kissed my neck and then down to my shoulder this time. “But listen, I have a very early meeting with another company this morning so I have to get ready for work. You want to grab lunch later so we can talk this out whatever it is that we have now?”

I nodded my head, my face still brilliantly smiling. It was much unexpected indeed how things were starting to turn out. Evan was once again by my side. Whatever will come our way, I’m sure we’re able to get through them. Hopefully his Mom doesn’t throw a fit.

Grabbing my silk robe, I covered my naked body with them, fastening the robe around my middle. Flipping my brown hair out, I took a brush and started brushing them carefully. All the while Evan got himself prepared for work, he told me all the things I’ve been missing while we’ve been separated. How his buddies and him got drunk lately at Isys Pub, how his Mom insisted he took Vanessa to dinner to meet with his big family and also how work had kept him so busy, he hardly have the time to have fun at all. When Evan was gone out the door, after he kissed my lips so passionately, David appeared out of nowhere and took his place by sitting down at the couch.

I closed the door. This guy was really hard to get rid of.

“Look, I bought that gown. I don’t know what you have to do with it but it’s mine now and it’s staying where it is until I say so,” I said firmly, marching up to him. “What about you buy them from me and you take it yourself? Isn’t that much nicer of a deal?”

He shook his head, his eyes not really meeting mine.

“I’m dead,” he said shortly. I stood frozen in my place. “How the bloody hell do you think I can move your gown back to England?”

So it’s true. He was a ghost. A rude one at that too.

“How did you die?” I asked after a moment of silence. This time he looked at me in the eyes. My question seemed to have to spark some fireworks he had.

“I died the night before I was supposed to be married by the woman who was supposed to be my wife,” he said bitterly. His voice had suddenly gone from cold to ice. “I thought she was everything I wanted in life but now, I’d want my life back without her taking any part in it!”

I stood there dumbfounded. Here I thought I had the most sad love story of all, someone like David had it ten times worst. At least Evan didn’t kill. Maybe not yet …

“I’m sorry,” I said, a lump had grown in my throat. I wanted to cry, I didn’t know why. “Must be really awful for you. What connection does the dress have to do with your death? You said something about evidence.”

“There was blood all over, she’d stabbed me continuously before fleeing,” he said, his eyes closed. It was my turn to feel like my chest had been stabbed. “She came to the room we were supposed to meet at. Veronica had been in love with me since the day we met in Hamburg, Germany. The day that we were supposed to get married, was the day her wedding day to marry Louie. He was her fiancé but she had always told me how she wanted to be far away from him because she was irrevocably in love with me. We’ve gotten serious, she actually brought me to her folks’ place three to four times. I thought she told them that we were an item but I guess she was too good of a liar. I believed her every words, every promises she threw at me.”

I understood that part too well. When I was with Evan before he chucked me out of his life, that was exactly how I felt. I practically trusted him with my life. If he said he loved me, I’d believe him. After Vanessa came into the picture and Evan drifted far away from me, it’s hard to believe anything he’ll say. The stupid part was that, why do I feel like I’m trusting him again?

“That day, Louie was suspicious about Veronica having an affair. He didn’t know it was with me. When he demanded the truth from her, she had denied. She swore in God’s name that she only loved him and nobody else. I heard every conversation they had because their room is right beside mine,” David continued. “I was such a fool to be led into something totally worthless. On her wedding day, she told me that her plan was to flee with me but things got a little out of hand when I told her I couldn’t take it anymore lying to Louie. The man was great, I tell you. We met quite a few times at the bar at the hotel we stayed. Veronica had panicked and I guess ending my life was the way out to end her drama. But that dress, I had a voice recorder hidden in them. That dress was supposed to be the dress she was going to wear for our wedding day after we flew out of Chesire. And everything she said is recorded in there.”

“You what?” I asked him incredulously. I was a bit thankful he was dead so he wouldn’t be able to tab me. His head turned to look at me as he rolled his eyes to the ceiling.

“I was a spy. An undercover agent for the British Law Force,” he said, stating the obvious. “I wanted to record everything she said so one day I could tell Louie and confessed to him what we’ve done. I need you to get that dress back to where you bought it because a colleague of mine is investigating Veronica’s case. He was the one that knew about the fling in the first place.”

I sighed. This was a hard task even for me to do. I liked my life as normal as it could possibly go. Having to be interrogated by FBI agents and police was not my sort of thing. I weighed the chances of being involved with this problem and thought it better if I just ship it back without having to go back to London myself.

I could feel David still intensely looking at me. His hand reached to touch me and I shuddered when I felt cold tingles in my left hand where his hand went through mine.

“There’s one more thing I need you to do,” David’s voice had gone serious. I had a feeling I’m not going to like whatever he’s going to say. “I need you to tell my parents about my death. I usually call them and visit them once a week but they haven’t heard from me since the day I was killed. Please … will you help me?”

I bit my lower lip. Yes. I definitely didn’t like hearing that.