Chapter Four

That afternoon when Kath and I had gone back to my apartment with our dogs, I was still debating whether or not to tell Kath what I had just experienced. Even if I told her, I wasn’t sure if Kath would believe me anyway. She was always against anything paranormal and anything that couldn’t be explained by the laws of Science. In other words, my best friend refuses to believe something that she cannot see. What made it even more complicated was how come she could see him a couple of days ago?

“Hey, you said you saw David at the park?” Kath asked, pulling up her hair into a messy bun. “Where was he? I would love to see him again. Was he in a better mood?”

I shook my head as I poured two glasses of pink lemonade from an ice cold jug I just pulled out from the refrigerator.

“I’d say he was even more pissed,” I answered, settling the half empty jug of pink lemonade on the breakfast counter. “He still won’t tell me why he wanted me to return that gown.”

Well, that was a bit of a lie. If what David said the gown being evidence was true, then that meant there were more to the story where probably the police or FBI agents involved. But what evidence could a dress possibly give?

After gulping down my lemonade, I washed my glass in the sink. I was about to go change when a knock came at my door. Kath and I exchanged looks. Finally after the third know, Kath bounced up from the couch to open the door. I wish she hadn’t though because the visitor was Evan. He looked handsome as always, today wearing a black dress pants and a loose grey blouse.

“Douch,” was all Kath said before slamming the door in front of his face. She walked back to the couch grabbing the lemonade on the counter as she passed. I glared at her. She couldn’t be any ruder to him. A moment later, another knock came and this time I opened the door.

“I need to talk to you,” Evan said, his voice sounded off. I raised one eyebrow questioningly. “May I come in?”

I had no idea if it had been our separation or something else that had turned him into being a real gentleman. Usually Evan would walk in after I open the door, greeting him with a smile. To answer his question, I nodded my head and stepped aside to let him in. Evan came inside as I closed the door behind him. He took a quick sweep of my place before frowning at the sight of Kath.

“Does she need to be here?” he asked me. The rude version of Evan that was clearly created being around Vanessa too much surfaced.

“Like I want to be here when you’re around,” Kath retorted heatedly. She scooped Molly up into her arms, grabbed her bad on the couch and stomped out. “Let me know if you’ve put the dog out, Al.”

Shooting one last look of daggers at Evan, Kath opened the door and slammed it shut behind her as she left.

“Why are you here?” I asked Evan, stuffing both of my hands in my jeans back pocket. “Does Vanessa know you’re here? Does your Mom?”

“No one even knows I’m in the city,” Evan said with a tired sigh.

From afar I studied him. Evan looked a bit fatigue in my opinion. I could clearly make out the black shadows under his eyes, making his handsome face looked worn out. His right hand kept on fumbling with his collar. Evan was nervous but I was clueless as to why. After what seemed like a long five minutes standing alone in a room filled with awkward silence, he finally faced me and stood still.

“I … “ he started to say. My eyebrows knotted in confusion. “I don’t know who else to talk to about this. I certainly couldn’t have this conversation with my Mom or Vanessa or else I wouldn’t be here. Please, can we sit down?”