Chapter Nine

With eyes wide open, I stare at the TV screen. I’ve muted the sound out because Kath was already fast asleep cuddling up to Molly and Roro. I replayed over what Kath and I talked about hours ago about David. What surprised me at the end of the conversation was how she wished she could see him one more time. She can take my place any day. At least Kath was pretty open to the supernatural concept.

Something cool breezed into the room and I knew pretty well by now it was the presence of David. We were quiet for what seemed a long time before I saw David’s see through body lying next to mine. I turned my body to the left to look at him. Sure enough David was there, his eyes fixated on the TV.

“I thought I told you to not come tonight?” I said, frowning.

“It’s already morning, Al. You didn’t say I couldn’t swing by in the morning,” David smirked. “Say, how did it go with Kath? Did she take it well?”

“It wasn’t bad actually. I’m kind of surprised she believed me,” I replied, putting both my hands under my head as I look up to the ceiling. “We can go to England now just like you wanted. The quicker I help you, the faster I can get away from you.”

Another fifteen minutes passed in silence. Even if my eyes were set on the TV, I could feel David’s pair of eyes looked down on me for I’ve suddenly gotten goose bumps on my arms. Looking down, I’ve noticed how his hand touched the tips of my fingers. It felt cold but something settled inside my heart. For once I felt rather comfortable with his presence.

“Make sure you take the flight to London and from London we can rent a car to get to Cornwall, a country side where my parents reside,” said David in a low voice. “You will love it there, no doubt. I won’t be surprise if you don’t want to go back to this place.”

I raised an eyebrow at him. Now he knows what I like and don’t like?

“You are wrong mister,” I stubbornly said. “I love it here no matter what. Plus, I got my career here, I can’t leave it forever even if Cornwall is going to be a thousand times better.”

“Tell me this, you like working in a small boutique rather than living somewhere absolutely beautiful? You have the money haven’t you?”

I sighed.

“You don’t understand,” I said wistfully. “There was a time in my life where I’ve completely come to the understanding money can’t buy you anything. Literally. I got my parents, but they weren’t always there. I got a big house but it was always empty except for the maids and butlers. I got all the things that I want but every time after I go shopping it just really feels empty. It doesn’t satisfy me. Besides, when we’re all dead and gone, what do we take with us? Nothing except our soul.”

“What do you know of death?” David butted in, voice steely. “You have no shitty idea how it feels to be dead and living in a dead world. In my own personal opinion, go live your life. You don’t have a lot of time to enjoy it so I suggest you spend your money, and just live it.”

I was taken aback for a moment. I was well aware I’m not dead yet but flashback to seven years ago when I almost died because of massive depression. In this world, no one has the right to live alone, no socialization. I was hospitalized for weeks and gone to a psychiatrist for months before I felt secure with myself. Dr. Tricia Veerman was like my second best friend who was there when things were rough. Who wouldn’t go insane if you had to stay most of your life being raised by maids rather than your own parents?

That was when I realized no money in the world my parents were going to give me in this world was going to make me happy. Emptiness gnawed my insides for years and when I met Evan that was when I felt a breakthrough. He was tremendously kind to me and an absolute charming guy. Evan was that kind of guy when you look at him, you’re unable to refuse whatever he asks or says. We’ve been together for a long time and now all the time we’ve spent together seemed like a waste of time.