Chapter Three

Ever since three days ago my encounter with David, I never saw him since. I was actually anxious to see him again but hated the idea of having to argue about the wedding dress he wanted to be returned to its rightful owner. Kath, on the other hand, was mildly attracted by David’s good looks. It was all she could talk about. Though a bit too much fantasy going on in her head when she told me this morning the dream she had with David in the bathroom of some random bar in the city.

As much as I hated to admit it, I wanted to see David once again, confronting him what his deal is. There was no way someone in their right mind would come barging in and demanded me to do something that makes no sense at all. David must be delusional.

I let out a deep sigh as I walk in the park with Roro, Kath and Molly, Kath’s adorable baby husky. It was Sunday morning and after a large breakfast consisting heaps of bacon, hash browns, eggs and toasts, Kath and I thought it was a good idea to take our dogs out for their Sunday walk in Central Park. To my left, I look at Kath who had on her Gucci sunglasses and wearing a gorgeous white sundress. She seemed at peace with herself by the way I saw the smile plastered to her cherry colored lips.

“You look happy,” I cocked my head in her direction.

“And why wouldn’t I be?” she asked back.

“Usually you have that kind of smile if you got screwed the other night,” I said. Finally Kath turned to look at me, taking off her sunglasses and letting it rest on top of her head like a hair band.

“Derek totally screwed me until my toes curl last night,” she said excitedly. I almost gagged out loud. “We had the best Saturday night date ever. So you know last night after you left to get your movies, Derek came bringing red roses. He took me out to dinner to La Dolce Vita and we had this amazing dinner that must’ve cost him a lot. Anyway, after dinner, he took me back to my place and we fucked until three in the morning. I still wonder why I’m even awake right now walking the dogs with you.”

“How long were you guys at it?” I asked in surprise.

“Oh you know, four to five hours nonstop I’d say,” she said casually.

You would think no one can last that long having sex but I guess Kath just has the stamina of a horse. In return, I crinkled my nose in disgust, trying to block out the image of my best friend having kinky sex with my cousin’s best friend.

“There must be something wrong with you,” I said to Kath before focusing back on the road where Roro was taking me which was obvious, the pond.

“Something wrong with me?” Kath laughed. “Al, when was the last time you had sex? I take it ever since Vanessa got hold of Evan, he never came around for a booty call.”

I stopped dead in my tracks. Even Kath couldn’t keep Evan away from my thoughts. Memories came rushing back when I used to be in Evan’s arms in bed. There was a way with how he’d touch me that made me shuddered, skin tingling in excitement. We would have amazing sex every once in a while where it was full of love not lust. I couldn’t have any of that anymore and I began to wonder if I’ll ever have something like that in the future.

“I’m sorry, Al,” Kath murmured, pulling me into a side hug. “I’ve gone too far. But really, I think you need to hook up with another guy and forget Evan the Douche. Live a little Al. There’s no wrong in that.”

Kath was right. She had always been right about everything in my life it’s creepy. Evan would probably hook up with Vanessa, ditch me, and move on while here I was bawling my eyes out for the guy who will probably never be mine again. I was too cooped up in my own world, in my own feelings, afraid of getting hurt again that I shut everything out. The only person I let in was Kath and that’s because she understood me, she was my best friend. I gave Kath a small smile and was about to open my mouth to say something when, in the distance, a figure caught my eye. It was him. And he was looking straight to where I was standing with Kath.

“Is he following us?” I asked more to myself than to Kath.

“Who is following us?” Kath turned to scan the area.

“That David Carson guy. He’s standing right there by the pond under the Willow tree,” I stated pointing in his direction. Kath squinted her eyes.

“I don’t see him,” Kath replied, shrugging her shoulders. I looked at her like she was plain crazy. It couldn’t get any brighter out here and yes she couldn’t see his obvious figure standing still with the same black pants and a grey hooded sweater covering his head.

“Look, just wait for me by the bench okay?” I said, tugging at Roro’s leash, making him follow me in the other direction. “I’ll be right back.”

Without hesitating, I left Kath and Molly, approaching the guy who I barely knew. David was there, under the Willow tree when I came. His electric blue eyes were glued to mine, his skin still pale white and translucent. When we were a good ten feet away from him, Roro had growled, clearly telling me that he wasn’t comfortable with David. I wasn’t comfortable either but I’d like to know what happened the other day. What David has anything to do with the wedding dress I had displayed on the window.

“Are you following me?” I asked.

David frowned, his expression turned from blank to annoyed.

“Excuse me? I have better things to do than follow you around,” he said gruffly. “I was merely taking a walk here when I noticed you with your friend there.”

“Well then what are you doing here?” I countered.

“Is it really your problem where I go and not go? If I want to be here then it’s up to me wouldn’t you agree?”

I let that comment pass.

“Look, I just want to know why you were so worked up the other day about that wedding gown at my store,” I asked him straight to the point. “I bought that gown, so it belongs to me now.”

“That wedding gown is not in its right place,” David’s voice had gone icy. Roro let out another growl and then barked. “I warned you to take it back where you found it but why are you so stubborn to take my advice.”

I threw my hands up in the air and rolled my eyes.

“Because I don’t even know you,” I cried out. Good thing there was no one nearby to hear. “Seriously, if you want it, buy it from my store. Don’t go threatening me and scaring the living shit out of me!”

Just that moment, David took a couple of steps closer, ignoring Roro who was barking mad. I struggled with his leash but kept my eyes on David just in case he decided to take on any action. He was towering over me, his body seemed twice larger than usual. Staggering backwards, I tried pulling Roro towards me. David was so close I could smell the earthy, musky scent he was giving off.

“I’m not threatening you. I’m warning you. There’s a big difference!” he spat out, voice thundering. “That gown you called yours? It’s evidence. That gown belonged to someone who killed me!”

Without so much as another sound, David was gone before my eyes. My heart thudded uncontrollably inside my chest, my eyes had grown as big as saucers and Roro hadn’t come close to shutting up. His barks were the only way I could tell that whatever just happened was most certainly real.