Chapter Six

Here's chapter six!:) please comment!!! please, please, please comment!!!!:)

Chapter Six- Tristan Kane

I wasn’t thinking. I wasn’t thinking at all. After practice I immediately drove back to my place to shower and freshen up a little bit before I went to Rachel’s to pick up Claire. After I showered I quickly drove down town. I hated driving down here. It was a terrible place. Graffiti covered old buildings and  people were smoking pot and getting high in alley ways, all in all it was not a safe neighborhood. I hated that Rachel lived here. 

As I pulled up to  Rachel’s apartment complex I noticed her truck was gone, I didn’t give it a second thought. I quickly jogged up the stairs and to her apartment and knocked. When no one answered I knocked again, this time louder. When no one answered again I was becoming very impatient. Than I began to worry. I wasn’t thinking straight. I body checked the thin door causing it to break from it’s hinges and crash to the ground. Rushing into her apartment I searched the place, no Claire. Defeated I slumped down on to the rickety couch that belonged in the dump. Not  ten minutes later I heard the soft patter of  footsteps. There pressed against the wall with a frightened face stood Rachel. At first she looked scared, scared there was a burglar than she looked pissed. 

“What the heck did you do?” Rachel screamed at me. I shot up from the couch and ran towards Rachel and Claire.

“What the heck Tristan! Why did you knock down my door! Do you know how much that’s going to cost to replace it! Huh! Money I don’t have! Gosh, your such an idiot!” she screamed. Tears made there way down her beautiful face and I swear my heart broke. Rachel continued her screaming and I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Just shut up will you Rachel!” I screamed back.

“I’m sorry I broke you door down. I was worried because you didn’t answer. I acted rashly and I’m sorry. I should have called first. I’ll pay to have your door fixed so don’t get your panties in such a twist and stop yelling!” I tried to explain but I ended up shouting back at her. Rachel gave me the coldest glare I have ever received in my life. It was worse than Coach’s glare. She kicked me in the shin before turning on her hear heading to the closet she called a kitchen. Rachel went and started working to fix her door. I don’t know why she was fixing it when I offered to pay to have someone fix it. I hesitantly sat on the couch not wanting to leave after our little fight. After about an hour of sitting on the couch bouncing Claire up and down on my knees Rachel finally finished. 

“I’m sure you can show yourself the way out.” I grabbed Claire’s diaper bag and started walking away from the atrocious apartment. I don’t know why Rachel was acting this way! This wasn’t the Rachel I knew! The Rachel I knew was a sweet person who would never dare raise their voice let alone kick someone in the shin! I walked out of the mess she called an apartment and slammed the barely there door. I do have to admit she did do a pretty good job of reattaching it.

~*~

When I got home that night it was a train wreck. Scout had peed and pooped in my house and Claire was crying non stop. I hurried in and locked the door. I was soon ambushed with a putrid smell. It was scouts pee. I set down Claire’s diaper bag and hurried down the long wooden hallway, half way down the hallway I slipped and skidded around in something slimy. That something slimy would be scouts poop. I was appalled and I quickly kicked off my shoe. At this point Claire was bawling and I couldn’t get her to stop. I hobbled down the hall, one shoe on one shoe off, towards her room. I changed her, fed her, burped her, I did everything I could think of and she still wouldn’t shut up! 

I was getting irritated and hot so I quickly took off my shirt before picking Claire back up. Claire’s chubby little hand felt my bare  chest making me stare down at her in confusion. After a couple seconds her small hand was laid right were my heart was, she stopped crying. She than rested her head on top of my chest listening to my heart beat. It was adorable. After a few minutes she was fast asleep. I gently carried Claire back to her room and tucked her into bed. Giving her a quick kiss on her forehead I went out to the main room ready to take care of Scout’s mess. 

That night I fell into bed exhausted. Right as I was about to fall asleep I suddenly pictured Rachel’s beautiful face when I first saw her this morning. Her hair awry, wearing baggy sweats and a tight tank top. I remember looking down at her slender body, noticing how I could easily count each and everyone of her ribs. I remembered thinking she had an eating problem. I remember her showing us around and thinking that it would be better to be homeless than to be  living in this place. I remember the pained and hurt look on her face when Bryce told her it was a dump. I remember her angry face with tears falling down her soft skin when she was yelling at me. I remembered everything. I also remembered how much of a jerk I was to her. I prayed she would forgive me. 

The next morning I woke up and thanked God I didn’t have practice today. Yes, it was very nice to be a professional football player, all the women, money, and parties I could want but, it was also annoying to have so many practices and travelling. Especially when you were an only parent. I still had no idea what I was going to do with Claire when we had an away game. 

I jumped out of bed thankful that Claire was still sleeping. After showering, brushing my teeth, getting dressed and eating breakfast I went to check on Claire. My baby girl was still fast asleep snoring a little even. It was than, after I had left Claire’s room, that I remembered how I had treated Rachel. I decided that once Claire woke up I would go and pay Rachel a visit and apologize for how I had acted before. 

It wasn’t long until I heard Claire start to cry. I ran to her room and picked her up. I was bouncing her on my hip when she stopped crying and started to talk in baby talk, meaning I had no idea what she was saying since she didn’t speak real words yet. After I fed and dressed her we were on our way to visit Rachel. 

As I pulled into the dreaded apartment complex I didn’t take the time to notice Rachel’s missing truck. I hurried up the steps and started pounding on her door. No one answered. I started pounding once again. 

“Hey you? What the hell are you doin’?” an old chubby lady asked, well more like demanded. I shifted Claire to my other hip before answering. 

“I’m looking for Rachel Paige. Do you know if she’s home?” I asked absentmindedly stroking Claire’s soft short hair. 

“Your looking for Rachel Paige.” The woman laughed. “I kicked Rachel out yesterday. Stupid bitch broke down the door! It was the last straw I tell you! She was always late on her rent and then she went and broke down the door!” the lady started yelling. 

“What do you mean you kicked her out! Are you crazy you crazy woman?!” I demanded. Rachel got kicked out. Because of me. Rachel’s gone, because of me. Rachel’s homeless, because of me. the guilt was to much. 

“Exactly what I said boy, I was sick of ‘er.” The lady went on pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. 

“Can you please not smoke in front of my little girl.” I asked politely, well as polite as I could at the moment. 

“You got a problem with it you can leave.” 

“Fine I’ll leave as soon as you tell me where I can find Rachel.” The lady snorted before blowing out another mouthful or smoke, purposely blowing it in my direction. I swatted the smoke away before glaring at her. 

“Probably on the streets is my guess.” The woman said smirking. I left before I lost my temper and hit a woman.