Chapter 9

PERCY'S POV:

When Percy had expected someone to come into Annabeth's room he'd thought it would be Annabeth herself. Instead he got a very flustered looking Maia running through the door. She stopped as she saw him sat on the armchair by the window, turning the tiny engagement ring between his fingers. She stared wide-eyed as he stuffed the ring back into its grey felt box frantically and tried to act natural once he had put it into his pocket.

"Uh....hey Maia, how's it going?" Percy smiled sheepishly at her as she continued to stare at him with wide eyes.

"Wow. Okay wasn't expecting that..... Was that..... Yeah..... So.. Annabeth wants you at the Infirmary, there's a kid named Nico there. He just turned up at the front door all bloody." Percy stood up immediately and began moving towards the corridor at a half-run.

"Did he say anything?" Percy asked as they walked briskly towards the Infirmary, Maia leading the way confidently.

"Well Annabeth asked why he was here and he said 'Hermes', but then he passed out. They must have had it rough on the way here."

"They?"

"He was with a girl. She was in a little worse shape than him though; she had some sort of injury on the side of her stomach, Annabeth was trying to figure out what caused it when she sent me to get you. I can't believe you didn't hear the doorbell go or us carrying the two of them to through the Institute. We weren't exactly quiet."

"Well I was a bit preoccupied..." He trailed off, embarrassed.

"Oh, yeah..." They walked in awkward silence for a few corridors. How far can it be to the freaking Infirmary!? Percy thought to himself.

"I was wondering - I mean, I know it's not any of my business, but why so early? You're only 16?17?. Why not wait to get married? Wait till you're sure you want to?"

Percy's eyes widened and he almost tripped over his own feet in surprise "Married?! Of course we're too young to get married! That ring isn't an engagement ring, it's a promise ring!" He was sure that his voice was a pitch higher than usual and his words came out so fast it was a wonder Maia even understood what he said.

"Oh," her cheeks flamed bright red and she looked suitably embarrassed "Sorry, a promise ring sounds really sweet. I'm sure Annabeth will love it."

'"Yeah, I'm sure she will." he replied, uncertainty lacing his words.

The two of them walked through the doors and into the Infirmary, immediately spotting where Nico and the girl were staying as everyone was gathered around those two beds. Percy could smell the ambrosia and nectar in the air as he approached the beds; a mixture of all his favourite smells. Annabeth seemed to relax slightly when Percy slipped his arm around her waist and looked down at the boy they had rescued when they were younger.

Nico looked pale, not just his normal son-of-the-god-of-death-creepy-vampire-pale, but healing from horrible injuries pale. He had light traces of healing cuts on skin and his dirty hair had been pushed back to expose his face. Though Nico had had to mature quickly over the last few years, seeing him sleeping made Percy think of him as that 10 year old boy who played mythomagic and was amazed by the world of Greek myth.

He was still in his usual Gothic attire though it was very tattered. Percy presumed his demigod friends had probably advised the Shadowhunters against changing Nico into different clothes as the kid had a really deadly temper. Percy had last seen Nico when the Hades cabin at camp had been completed. He'd slept there for a night or two before disappearing like usual. Percy guessed he had gone to the Underworld to spend time with his dad and maybe hang with some of his skeleton friends playing a game of Naughts and Satanic Crosses or what's the time Mr Harpie.