Chapter 4

PERCY'S POV:

The ride to New York had taken around 40 minutes; the Pegasi flying with all speed in order to reach the city before it became too late to look around. They had managed to get within a five minute walk of the forest they needed to go to; the closest they could get without too many mortals noticing them. Although the Mist would distort what mortals saw, it would still be a little abnormal to have five teenagers fly down from the sky on giant eagles or something of that sort.

"We're going to need to move fast. Four demigods in New York - that's bound to attract a bunch of monsters." Annabeth said - always the voice of reason.

"Thanks for the lift Blackjack. You think you guys can hang around in case we need another ride?" Percy asked as he gave Blackjack a sugar cube from the supply he kept in his jean pockets.

Sure boss! See ya soon! he replied, then the five Pegasi took off into the air to do whatever they do in their spare time.

They all shouldered their backpacks and began walking at a brisk pace through the busy streets - filled with mortals oblivious to the danger surrounding them. Percy often found himself wondering what life would've been like for him had he not been a demigod. He would've gone to normal schools with no ADHD or dyslexia to trouble him. He may even have made friends. He could've gotten good grades and gone on to have a normal job. He could've just lived life with absolutely no idea about Gods, monsters, Titans and missing lightning bolts. However, no matter how often these thoughts came into his mind, they were always countered by the positives that had come from his life as a demigod. He may have a tough life, but he had friends and he had a home. He had a place where he belonged utterly and completely. Not to mention the fact that he had an amazing girlfriend and a Satyr for a best friend. Yes, he may not have come out of it all unscathed but in the end he wouldn't change anything if he were given the choice. Well, maybe he would make this whole monsters in New York thing disappear so he could spend Summer at Camp with Annabeth.

A few people stared at them considering they were wearing matching orange t-shirts but as the shirts said 'Camp' Half-Blood on them, they could pass as a few teens on a field trip despite the late hour.

The edge of the forest loomed in front of them; general forest sounds reaching their ears as they stood before the treeline.

"Looks like a delightful place." Percy said sarcastically to his friends upon observing the sight.

"Scared Jackson?" Clarisse mocked him.

Percy shot her a glare and said "After everything that's happened these last few years? Not likely. Clarisse huffed and looked away at this, even for someone like her things had been rough.

"Okay guys, why don't we just go and have a look around rather than squabbling like children, yes?" Annabeth said, proceeding to walk into the trees.

It became darker as they walked further and the trees became denser. They walked in silence, the only noises being the occasional animal and the sound of their footsteps on the ground. Annabeth turned on a flashlight that she had brought along and the area around them was illuminated - though all the light really did was prevent them from bumping into trees. Although the forest wasn't so bad inside - Percy had DEFINITELY been to worse places - he couldn't shake the feeling that something was watching him. He glanced around quickly and caught a quick flash of silver among the trees, moving so fast he barely saw it before it disappeared. He didn't really take too much notice of this; it was most likely a reflection or something from Annabeths flashlight.

"No sight of anything so far. Maybe Chiron sent us to the wrong place?" Thalia said with a frown.

"Chiron isn't usually wrong...But it is a little strange that we haven't encountered-"