Chapter 3

Thanks to 'SparkyEatonHerondale' for reminding me that I need to update, and also all of you who are reading, voting and commenting,  you're all awesome ^_^ x

PERCY'S POV :

As Percy, Annabeth, Grover and Tyson approached the Big House they could hear muffled talk coming from inside; all, if not most, of the Cabin leaders were probably already seated.
"You okay to wait out here big guy? The meeting's just for Cabin leaders, I'm sure we can tell you all about it afterwards." Percy said, hoping that Tyson wouldn't mind.
"Go brother, I'll be okay." He replied with a smile which made Percy feel more at ease. Percy gave Tyson a half-hearted smile in return and led the way into the meeting with Annabeth and Grover in tow.
They walked into a fairly large room with a table in the centre; at the head of this table sat Chiron in his magic wheelchair; the respective Cabin leaders taking up all but 2 of the seats remaining. The Campers had been idly chatting with each other as they waited for everyone to be present. That very chatter ceased as the campers realised the meeting was about to begin.
Percy and Annabeth sat in the 2 empty spaces - which happened to be next to each other - whilst Grover stood behind them as his presence was allowed but not necessary. Chiron surveyed the people assembled before him with a grave expression, the Centaur's eyes lingered on Percy for a moment which made his gut clench and his stomach do cartwheels.
"Firstly I would like to welcome you all back to Camp, it is a relief to see you all back safe and well along with every one of you cabin mates. After the events of last Summer it is heartening to see a positive atmosphere around Camp. You, along with everyone who participated in the battle, have had to endure so much."
Chiron grimaced and paused while Percy and Annabeth shared a look. Percy didn't like where this was going, but it certainly certainly didn't sound good. Annabeth had a resigned look on her face; like she knew exactly what Chiron was going to say next.
Chiron continued "You see, I was contacted by an old friend of mine living in New York. He informed me of a situation that has arisen in the area. There have been an unusual amount of...monster sightings in the city and other strange happenings. A recent attack on some allies of my friend have caused a considerable amount of confusion and alarm. I wish there were another way to do this, but I'm afraid a group of Demigods must be sent to the city to assess the situation and offer any assistance if it is needed."

By the end of Chiron's announcement, the room was completely silent and every face held the same expression of shock. Percy was the first to move as his shoulders slumped and he put his head in his hands. He should've known that there would be something bad going on this Summer.

"Chiron?" He heard Annabeth say, causing him to lift his head up and look at Chiron again.

"Yes Annabeth?" Chiron sounded weary, as though the information was still weighing him down even though it had now been shared.

"Who exactly is going on this...quest?" Annabeth's voice rose into a question at the end, probably due to the fact that this didn't sound like a quest at all.

"This is not a quest as such, as no one shall consult the Oracle," Percy's eyes widened, campers were always sent to the Oracle before leaving Camp like this. "As for who will go, I was rather hoping we would have some volunteers. If not, a group will have to be assembled by myself and Mr. D."

Silence, again. It seemed that no one was eager to leave Camp after last Summer. Like himself, they most likely wanted a 'quiet' Camp for once. Even Clarisse, leader of the Ares Cabin, was hesitating - deep in thought. Most likely wondering how this would benefit her.

After an extremely tense minute, a chair scraped across the floor and everyone's eyes turned in Percys direction. For a moment, Percy was puzzled, that is until he turned to his right and saw Annabeth standing. Staring straight at Chiron, she said "I'll go Chiron." She then looked down at Percy and gave him a look that clearly meant Stand up now, or regret it later. Groaning, Percy stood and rolled his eyes, "Looks like I'm going too then."

Clarisse glared at Percy and stood from her seat, "I'm going. Don't want that punk messing everything up." She smirked and Percy looked at Annabeth, raising his eyebrows. She just shook her head with a smile. Some things never change.

A bleat sounded from behind him and Percy jumped. He had forgotten Grover was still there. "I'm Percy's protector so if he goes, I go." Percy found it very strange how they were standing up declaring themselves, it all seemed a bit dramatic.

Chiron waited for a few seconds to see if anyone else wanted to volunteer. No one else stood up.

"It's settled then. Percy, Annabeth, Grover and Clarisse shall go to New York at dawn. I suggest you all make your way to the Dining Hall as dinner will be starting soon." As if on cue, the conch horn sounded in the distance signalling meal time. As Percy and the other campers got up from their seats, Chiron spoke again. "I would like a quick word with you four before you leave." Percy stopped heading towards the door along with Annabeth, Grover and Clarisse and walked over to Chiron curiously.

"Thank you for volunteering to go, I believe you are capable of working together efficiently to eliminate whatever threat lies ahead. I'm afraid I don't have much information to give you. I can, however give you this piece of advice - Demigods are not the only people protecting mortals from danger. Be ready for anything." Chiron then smiled and gestured towards the door "I suggest you get something to eat and have an early night tonight, you will need your rest."

They turned and left the office, Grover, Percy and Clarisse each held expressions of confusion while Annabeth had a light frown on her face. Percy glanced at her, he knew how to read her after all this time they'd known each other.

"Hey, you two go ahead, we'll catch up." Percy said. Grover nodded and trotted off to get something to eat, Clarisse huffing and stomping along in his wake.

Percy didn't waste any time getting to the point, "You know something, don't you Annabeth." Percy stated, breaking the silence. She sighed, sat on the protruding root of a nearby tree and grimaced. He sat beside her and waited for her to gather her thoughts and speak. After a few moments she took a deep breath,

"You remember when you came into Chiron's office yesterday and I was talking to him?" he nodded "Well, it was about something that happened during the year. I was out for the day with dad. We went to this cafe and then went and looked at some really cool architecture. Percy you should've seen some it! The way there were made-"

"Annabeth, back to the point." Percy interrupted before she could ramble on about Zeus knows what.

"Right. So, when we were looking around I saw this thing. It didn't look like any monster I've ever seen before and I know almost all of them, it look more like some kind of serpent creature. I was going to go and deal with it but this guy jumped out and killed it with a glowing knife. It wasn't Celestial bronze and the strangest thing was - the mortals didn't see him at all. He was stood right there and no one noticed the creature or him save dad and me." She trailed off at the end and adopted a misty look over her eyes which Percy recognised as her 'trying to figure out every problem in the world' face."

Annabeth turned to him again, so suddenly, in fact, that Percy jumped and fell off of the root he was sat on and landed on the ground. Annabeth just helped him up like nothing had happened and carried on talking "Its all connected somehow, the creature, this friend of Chiron's and I'm guessing the dream you had."

He nodded, it all made sense. Hold on. How did she know about the dream! He hadn't told anyone. Had he? "How did you-"

"Know about the dream? It's obvious Seaweed Brain. You always get dreams when something odd is going on. There must be something wrong with you. You're abnormal kelp-head." She laughed while Percy glared, effectively diffusing the tension.

Percy's stomach decided to give a particularly large growl at that moment, causing them both to crack up.

"How about we have a picnic? It'd be nice to have at least one nice night this Summer, I have a feeling we're not going to have many opportunities to be alone in New York with Clarisse and G-man" Percy suggested and Annabeth nodded in agreement, smiling happily. "You go down to the lake and I'll get the food."

"Don't forget to make a sacrifice to Athena for me!" She called, already walking away.

****

The night was perfect down at the lake. The stars glimmered and the moon was shining brightly, illuminating the figures of Percy and Annabeth laying on a blanket; Percy had his arm around Annabeth and she was leaning her head on his chest. They had eaten a lovely meal and talked for a while about anything but the upcoming trip. Now, they were just enjoying each others company, both lost in their own thoughts. The silence made the night quiet and peaceful. That is until there was a large splash in the water followed by flapping and whinnying. Annabeth exclaimed as the water soaked her, scowling when she saw Percy was completely dry. He had a feeling he knew what had just interrupted their evening

Hey Boss! Percy groaned when his guess was proven right

"Blackjack, what are you doing?!" Percy was slightly annoyed that they'd been interrupted. "And don't call me boss!"