Christmas

I held my bag and looked around the lounge, with it's distinct lack of Christmas decorations; I sighed and stepped into the fire. My mother came after me, gripping my shoulder tightly; her fingers digging into my flesh. I wished I could pull away, rid myself of her; dig into myself and tear away any connection with the woman who was supposed to love me. I wanted nothing to do with her at all; how dare she stand so tall after all she did, she has no shame.

"Malfoy Manor!" she barked. My last view of the sitting room before we began to spin in the green flames was of my brother Ryan waving, his little girl Maia on his knee, a happy grin on her sweet face, her plump arms waving in our direction too.

We landed in the fireplace in the main drawing room of Malfoy Manor in a dignified manner, and found Alfie, my oldest brother already there in conversation with Lucius. Narcissa pulled me into a hug as she nodded to my mother who was stood quietly to one side; never one for emotional moments, of course.

"Nats! You're here too! Oh fantastic!" I said in a joyous tone as I pulled away from Narcissa and swooped on my best friend. For once the emotion was genuine. Often she annoyed me; occasionally I hated her for her perfect life and I even envied her once for her friendship with Draco. Now however, that was different. And I was glad to see her - she was someone to talk to; gossip with and unwind from the tense week with mother at home.

"And Lucius, good morning. Thank you very much for having us." I wasn't about to rely on my mother showing enough initiative to display such menial things as manners. Draco's father smiled slightly and kissed my cheek.

"But of course, Miss Ashton. You become more beautiful and lady-like every time we see you; it is a pleasure." I bowed my head slightly then looked back at his pale face, his blonde hair swept back from his grey eyes.

"Ahh, Draco, the Ashton's have arrived. And Crabbe and Goyle will be here any moment." Lucius's cool voice swam through the air above me, and like an intoxicating scent my head turned to follow it, to find a pair of exquisite silver eyes looking back into my emerald ones. He was so like his Father, in looks and mannerisms; but altogether more delicious and human. Lucius had an ability to inspire awe with his stature and strong features, and yet he was fearsome and alien to behold; a queer sight in such an ordinary setting. Draco however seemed more relaxed in his surroundings and a smile stretched his face as we regarded one another.

"It's wonderful to see you again Draco; I trust we will be seeing some more of you later when you aren't so busy entertaining?" I heard my voice as it left my mouth but it sounded very formal and foreign. I couldn't wait until we could be alone and were able to talk properly.

Draco nodded as a whooshing noise sounded behind me and the Goyles' stepped from the fireplace, followed by Crabbe and his Father. Draco immediately sped his boys out of the room with a promise of more socialising later hanging in the air as the door swung shut behind him. Everyone in the room stared at one another, in awkward silence. I interjected, asking Natalie to see my room, although I already knew very well where it was as it was where I stayed every time I came, just to escape the tangible hush.

***

That night we stayed up until past three giggling and chatting and gossiping heavily. It was times like these that I was glad Nat was my best friend. So we joked about for a while; and while we hadn't seen the boys other than at dinner; we found plenty to discuss about them and their 'kind'.

I told her about mine and Olive Beaumont's competition to see who would get with the most guys this year; and we laughed as I went through each kiss in detail. When I got to Draco I paused a second, thinking back over the kiss, wondering if Nat would really want to hear about me kissing her best guy friend. She however, seemed interested and urged me on eagerly. We fell into fits of giggles as I described it, and only stopped when I asked about who she fancied. I knew there was someone, she'd been acting weird for a while, especially since the night we played 'Never Have I Ever', which admittedly was at Slytherin Start-of-Term party in September, but I hadn't got round to finding out because I'd been too preoccupied.