Closing Time Confessions

Closing Time Confessions (Reddit)

Song: VersaEmerge - Paint It Black [Cover]

Right at closing time, the Devil walks into your bar, ready to drink, and boy does he have a lot to get off his chest.

-DJ_Incognito

"Go on home, Nick, I'll finish closing up."

"You sure, Damien?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, you've had one hell of a night."

He grinned. "Thanks, man! I'll see you tomorrow night."

I smiled back. "Definitely. Be careful on your way home, okay? You never know, the Devil could be lurking out there!" I joked.

He laughed and left, not bothering to respond to my stupid jest.

I sighed and finished wiping down the counter. It was four in the morning and the bar I work at, Sunny's Gateway, was finally closing up shop for the night. I went to lock the front door when some strange guy came barging in.

"Hey, dude, we're closing for the night."

"Please, just one drink?" He begged.

I sighed and looked him over. Well, he was hot. "Fine. One drink," I agreed and locked the door before anyone else could find their way inside.

He sat down at the bar and I slid over the top of it. I looked him up and down a second time. "What'll it be, hun?"

"A beer would be great."

I gave him a strange look. "You know, you could get a whole six pack for a lot less at the 7-Eleven right down the street," I pointed out.

He shrugged. "But then I'd have to go home and drink, which is what I'm trying to avoid right now."

I nodded and took the cap off a bottle, sliding it to him. "Tough time with the missus?" I asked as I returned to cleaning.

"Not actually. It's a lot more. . . complicated than that."

"People tell me I'm a good listener if you need someone to talk to," I offered, grabbing the broom and working my way across the floor.

"Not sure that's such a great idea," he muttered.

I shrugged. "Suit yourself."

An hour later, I had finished tidying up and this still-nameless guy had gone through six beers, three shots of whiskey and a vodka on the rocks.

"It's just so frustrating, you know?"

"What is?" I asked in confusion.

"Being the Devil."

I gave him a disbelieving look and thought about cutting him off. "What do you mean?"

"Well, my name is Lucifer, I'm older than time itself - although I look like the average twenty-nine year old - and I'm constantly playing a never-ending game of tug-of-war with God just so I can claim a few souls. I mean, what's a guy got to do to get some souls occasionally?"

I leaned forward a little and whispered to him. "There's a free mental health clinic two blocks from here. I can show you the way if you want."

He growled and flames erupted all over his body. "I'm not a fucking loon. I am being completely serious here and you don't believe me. This is why I don't open up to humans. But I thought 'Why not? He's cute and seems to be understanding enough'," he ranted.

I raised my hands in surrender, realizing a little too late that he was telling the truth. "Whoa, whoa. I'm sorry I didn't believe you, man. Just calm down and we can talk, okay?"

The flames subsided and he quietly gazed at me, his black eyes giving nothing away.

I hopped up on the bar and laid down, still looking at him. "So you think I'm cute, huh?"

He groaned and nodded his head. "Yeah. That's one of the reasons I chose this bar tonight."

I nodded once and looked up at the ceiling. "That's the main reason I let you in here after closing time, you know. Because I thought you were cute."

"Wanna fuck?" He asked seriously.

I choked on air and stared at him wide-eyed for a moment. "Dude, you don't just randomly ask something like that!" I finally managed to say.

"So is that a no?"

I groaned and yanked him to me, laying one on him. "Not at all."

He grinned wickedly. "Excellent," he said, our surroundings swirling and fading before we appeared in my bedroom.

"How'd you do that?" I asked.

He shrugged and pulled his shirt over his head, revealing a delicious six pack I just wanted to lick all over. "I just thought of your home and we showed up here," he murmured, kissing me in between every other word.

"But how did you know where I live?"

"I've been watching you for quite a long time, Damien. You. . . fascinate me," he admitted as he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

I shrugged off his explanation and busied myself getting the rest of his clothes off. After all, I'd have plenty of time to ask questions later, considering the fact that I was definitely going to hell after this.

To say I was shocked when I woke up and realized Lucifer was still in bed next to me would have been a gross understatement. I was certain he would be gone the next morning, just like all my various other one night stands.

He rolled over and pulled me close. "Why are you awake?"

"Why are you still here?" I retorted.

He raised a brow at me. "Did you want me to leave?"

I shook my head. "No. And answering my question with a question was a real jerk move, you know."

He shrugged. "You did it first."

"Did not."

"Did too."

"Did not."

"Did too."

"Whatever."

"Ha! I win!" And he kissed me.